Saturday, February 5, 2011

Madeline Hunter - Secrets of Surrender


He catches her eye across the dining room—a handsome stranger who stands out among the lewd noblemen and bawdy painted women. But their worlds are about to collide in a way Roselyn Longworth could never have imagined. For before the night is out, she will be auctioned off to the highest bidder...and Kyle Bradwell will lead her from one kind of hell to another. Yet from the moment he wins her, Kyle treats Rose with a gentleness she hasn't known since a family scandal destroyed her reputation. And when she finally learns what is really driving Kyle, it's too late. For Rose has fallen for the man who knows her most intimate secrets. Now he has stunned her with a proposal of marriage—the first step in a seduction that will demand nothing less than her complete surrender....

Comment: I like reading historicals. It makes you want to see if people's lives were close to that back in that time, soemtimes we can see ourselves in the heroines shoes, knowing what we know, imagining if we didn't know but still kept our personality...it's an intereting exercice.
But sometimes the author's writing doesn't allow much imagination...which isn't the case here. Madeline Hunter created the marquis' character and since book #1 I've been imagining his HEA.
I'm almost there and the tidbits in this book show us more clues to his occupation.

About this book, well, Roselyn and Kyle are a gorgeous couple, both of them ha a past that isn't perfect but throughout the book we see them making allowances to the other in order to restore honor and devotion. Well I saw it that way.
It makes me think knowing that women were treated like that and worse, by men who had all the power. I think the fact Kyle "rescued" Rose from a dangerously horrible future is sweet and honorable, even tough he isn't from a rich family. An interesting study in comparing the status quo of that time with one's honor.
I don't think this is the best historical I've read but I liked it a lot and will certainly keep reading books by the author.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I also liked this book and it got me to read more books by Madeline Hunter. :) I think this was my first book by her and since then I've accumulated a few in my TBR. I like her writing.

    ReplyDelete