Sunday, March 20, 2011

Patricia Briggs - River Marked


Car mechanic Mercy Thompson has always known there was something different about her, and not just the way she can make a VW engine sit up and beg. Mercy is a coyote shapeshifter, a talent she inherited from her long-gone father. And she's never known any others of her kind. Until now.

As Mercy takes in this new information, an evil is stirring in the depths of the Columbia River. Something deadly is coming, facts are thin on the ground and Mercy feels ill at ease. However, her father's people may know more. To have any hope of surviving, Mercy and her mate, the Alpha werewolf Adam, will need all the resources the shifters can offer. Or death will be the least of their worries.


Comment: This series is oneof my favourites ever. The author includes what I think it's one of the strongest points in fiction for me, whether in romance or crime books or whatever: familiar connections.
I explain. I just love a book where the characters don't interact own their own, I love seeing their families, their friends, their relationships, their packs if that's the case.
In RL we all have family or other people to make us act, so why not in fiction? But in romance, usually the main couple has the focus and the rest of the cast is exploited in later installments, if it's a series.
Patricia Briggs is a great writer because she writes things, she makes her characters think and she proves there's many people in the world besides the main couple. This is one of the reasons why I love her books.
In this last book in the series, River Marked, we don't see this as much. Mercy and Adam are in their honeymoon and obviously there isn't much interaction with the rest of the pack. I accept that, as it's part of the book's plot. I just hope the next one is back at their house lol
This book introduced many mystical elements, a lot of history and legends. It was interesting and I think the story was very well done. I wished I'd see more of their relationship but, honestely, they're happy! I repeat it, they are happy! How wonderful to see them work at that, at making it be the best they can. They seem perfect for each other.
I also cried when it seemed something bad would happen, and I was glad to see them solve the problem that happens throughout the book.
I've seen somewhere the finale of this series is close. I wish it wasn't, but if it is, then I hope it's the perfect ending, because there's nothing worse than seeing something you love getting wasted or stretched to its degradating limits.

No comments:

Post a Comment