Sunday, September 25, 2011

ML Rhodes - True of Heart

A hundred years ago, the high sorcerer of Velensperia launched a swift and deadly attack against the draegans—a race of dragon shapeshifters who’d always lived in harmony with the humans. The draegans were all but destroyed, with the few who remained, scattered and in hiding. Now, a group of them have united and begun to fight back. Their leader, Keiran Hareldson, seeks to free his people from the cruel repression the high sorcerer’s reign has imposed on them.

Gaige Rizik is captain of the sorcerer’s High Guard, and known for his lethal ability to hunt down his prey with no remorse. His orders are to infiltrate the draegan rebels’ camp, learn their plans, and identify their leader so he can be destroyed. But when Gaige joins the rebels, posing as a human sympathizer to the draegans’ cause, he discovers the shapeshifters aren’t the bloodthirsty beasts he’s been led to believe, and their leader is a passionately captivating man who only wants what’s best for his people. Keiran sparks powerful emotions in Gaige, tearing down his walls of steely control, and stirring a longing in him he can’t deny.

Torn between his duty to the high sorcerer and his growing feelings not only for Keiran, but for the draegan way of life, Gaige knows he’s damned no matter which he chooses. In a world of lies, deception, and dark secrets, one false move will bring destruction to all he’s begun to hold dear. With the fate of so many lives on his shoulders, Gaige’s only hope is to follow his heart...and pray it’s true enough to save them all.

Comment: Since I've started reading m/m, I've read several reviews and coments about the dragon books by this author and all of them stated they were great and wonderful to read.
They were right.
I liked the story a lot, I couldn't put it down. I liked the descriptions, the world the author created and the sense of adventure in the book. I was always very curious to what would happen next, always wondering when who the main characters really were was going to be revealed. It was very good to see how things developped and even better that it happened in a believable pace. I think it helps a lot if the author can use vocabulary to help creating a sense of time passing by without being rushed. Very good.
The two main characters are a great couple and I was so happy to see they were mates and how it happened. I love romance and I enjoyed seeing theirs.
I'm so curious to how the fact they're mates will affect others around them, which means I can't wait to read the other books.
I also liked the secondary characters and want to know more about them. All in all, every little detail in the story worked for me. The story itself was fun and addictive and the said details really made it all better.
It was a great world indeed and I loved the book. Totally worth the time I've waited to read it and a great pick for this challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment