Sunday, November 20, 2011

Gail Carriger - Blameless

Quitting her husband's house and moving back in with her horrible family, Lady Maccon becomes the scandal of the London season.
Queen Victoria dismisses her from the Shadow Council, and the only person who can explain anything, Lord Akeldama, unexpectedly leaves town. To top it all off, Alexia is attacked by homicidal mechanical ladybugs, indicating, as only ladybugs can, the fact that all of London's vampires are now very much interested in seeing Alexia quite thoroughly dead.
While Lord Maccon elects to get progressively more inebriated and Professor Lyall desperately tries to hold the Woolsey werewolf pack together, Alexia flees England for Italy in search of the mysterious Templars. Only they know enough about the preternatural to explain her increasingly inconvenient condition, but they may be worse than the vampires -- and they're armed with pesto.



Comment: The third book of Alexia Tarabotti's series by Gail Carriger.
I just had to read this book right after the previous one because the way it ended. I was so furious with Lord Maccon because of what he did and said to Alexia. He accused her of betrayal and it was something so shocking I just couldn't wait a month to see how things would develop after this.
I was sad because they seemed such a great couple and I wouldn't expect something like this from him. Obviously, the author didn't mean to separate them, so the whole book shows us how sad and miserable they both are without the other and how out of character they seem because they miss the other. These clues made me believe we would have a great scene when they finally meet again and made peace. I was slightli disappointed whrn Alexia forgave Conall rather quickly, like all the words were explained by his personality. I think it would be better for both of them if we could have seen some more emotion into that scene.
Anyway, apart from this small detail, I enjoyed the book, it has an interestinf take on how to measure a soul even in the middle of all those problems Alexia faces in her trip to Italy (in order to find an explanation to fact she's pregnant and Conall doesn't believe her).
I also loved seeing some other characters and I was very surprised to what happens to one of them. I can't wait to see what hapenns next.
The author has said the series will only have 5 books. I can't believe there's only two missing for me to read, this is a great series and I'm enjoying myself a lot with it. By the way, I love the covers so far and this third one is amazing, I love the strong red with the gray behind, very beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment