Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Jessica Andersen - Magic Unchained

Cara Liu is determined to unite the forces under her leadership but when Nightkeeper Sven enters the scene, Cara has trouble separating her duty to her people from her desire for her ex-lover. Their secret affair will not only jeopardize a tenuous alliance among the Nightkeepers, but it also distracts them from a danger within their own ranks planning a vicious betrayal...

Comment: This is the 7th installment int he Nightkeepers series by the author. After this one, there's only the last book, so I had high hopes for this one.
Cara Liu was one of the characters we meet in the first book to be a winikin, a kind of servant of a nightkeeper, in this case, Sven. but their relationship hasn't been very good in the past years so he sends her home and she goes because she doesn't really want to be a winikin, she believed she would be a nightkeeper and to know she's only a servant is hard on her. Plus there's Sven, her feelings for him changed and she thinks he could break her heart again, so she leaves. Sven was raised by Cara's parents but has had a very living-on-limits life and now that he's being a responsible nightkeeper, with a familiar like his bloodline would mean him to, he's not prepared to see cara return as leader of the winikin. With her came many more winikin rebels - it's the possible end of the world, after all - and this means there's some tension everywhere: they're rebels because they also didn't want to be winikins.
In the beginning of the book everyone is still adapting to all this and I thought this book would be huge in terms of happenings, is the book before the last, so...
I was wrong. They only battle and two novelties happen, ok three if we're to be that technical, but to me it wasn't enough. I feel there's too many things to solve in the last one and with so many pages to waste so many in things that could be dealt in just 20 or 30...ehhh..
Then there's the romance. After years of denying their feelings I expected things to happen a bit slow, yes. They had too much to work out between them. Well, they did talk..a lot. But did they convince me they meant it? No. I think after all the talking and dealing with the fact they knew each other and lived together and had a certain relationship before (did I mention I hate the lovers reunited theme even when they weren't lovers?), they talked about it, imagined things about it, we had to see that...ahh how boring. And still they were doubtful, which rationally I understand, but I didn't feel they were actually committed to change, or to try. Their feelings were always about indecision, about yes now and no right after. I just think there wasn't dedication enough on their part to make things definite, to settle their relationship once and for all. So, the romance....ehhh.

There's two ehhs, so I can't say i loved this book. It's readable. But considering what I, personally, didn't really like in the story, plus the fact it's almost the last one...well, I still have a certain high expectation for the final one, Rabbit's. I hope it's better.

No comments:

Post a Comment