Sunday, May 13, 2012

Julia Quinn - Just Like Heaven

Honoria Smythe-Smith is: A) a really bad violinist
B) still miffed at being nicknamed "Bug" as a child

C) not in love with her older brother's best friend

D) all of the above

Marcus Holroyd is:
A) the Earl of Chatteris
B) regrettably prone to sprained ankles

C) not in love with his best friend's younger sister

D) all of the above

Together they:
A) eat quite a bit of chocolate cake
B) survive a deadly fever and the world's worst musical performance

C) fall quite desperately in love
It's Julia Quinn at her best, so you know the answer is . . . D) all of the above.


Comment: I like this author's style a lot. I've read her Bridgerton series and all the books were so funny and emotional, I loved them all, especially the 2nd one. Anyway, when I realized she was writing more books where those characters might show up I didn't stop to think and bought them right away.
This first book about the Smythe-Smith quartet presents us Honoria. She plays the violin and against popular belief, she does know they don't play well. But she does it because it's family tradition and she loves her family. Being part of the musicale is an honor to her because not only she respects her family but she has a great time laughing and being with her cousins.
Marcus is Honoria's older brother best friend. The met in Eton and never separated, especially since Marcus' father wasn't very loving so Daniel Smythe Smith's family kind of embraced Marcus as their own and they stayed friends forever. Daniel, however, had a little problem and had to leave the country but he asked Marcus to help Honoria and drive away unsuitable suitors, which Marcus has been doing for quite a while. But this year, Honoria is determined to find a husband and maybe Marcus has to figure out the answer to both of them has been there all along.
Like I said, I love the author's style. I know she's not the best writer in terms of precise historical details, I know there are other authors whose work has more correct information, but to be honest I like her style and the fact she deals with intense subjects in a simple but sweet manner. She doesn't dramatize everything, she doesn't explore strange stuff or focus on her character's most awful traits. She writes and delivers an entertaining story, with romance and funny moments and seriousness all wrapped in the prefect package. To me it works and I'll keep reading her things. I love the fact her heroines aren't the most beautiful but they are honest and loving. And her heroes aren't impossible rakes or decadent men, they are funny and decent and perfect in their faults, although never arrogant. I love it.
This book just proves it. Some might say it's a too easy book, but to me it's written well, the story is sweet and funny at times and I love there's love there, not only between the main characters but we feel the love in the Smythe-Smith family.
The romance is sweet and I liked they start falling slowly, it was always there but they realized slowly, it was fun. I liked how their personalities and choices didn't waver just because they started falling in love. This made the end so much better.

Now I can't wait for the next one, it's pre-ordered since last month and it is promising!

I picked up the UK covers since Bridgerton series and prefer them to the US ones. Those who know them...aren't they gorgeous?

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I agree with you on this one, S!

    Julia Quinn's books for the most part are just fun, light reads, and I enjoy them so much. This was a great read for me too. :) Some people DO consider them too "wall papery" with not enough historical details, but you know what? In her case I don't mind because her style is different... I agree with you on that one too. *g* I can't wait to read the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know Quinn had written more books in the Bridgerton world. The Bridgertons were her only books that I really enjoyed so I might give these ones a try...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilcia, yes the historical details isn't her strongest point, but her stories are so good to read...there are other authors if one wants more seriousness. I think people should just appreciate her work for what it is instead of comparing to styles opposite hers.
    Can't wait for Daniel's story, what about you? ;)

    Ana, the Bridgertons don't have a key role in these books I'd say..but Colin and Gregory show up in this book, it's always fun to watch..besides this book takes place before Colin and Penelope got married, so some plots happen at the same time, how fun!

    Kisses for both of you!
    ****

    ReplyDelete