Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Meljean Brook - The Iron Duke

Seductive danger and steampunk adventure abound in the gritty world of the Iron Seas, where nanotech is fused with Victorian sensibilities -- and steam. After the Iron Duke freed England from Horde control, he instantly became a national hero. Now Rhys Trahaearn has built a merchant empire on the power -- and fear -- of his name. And when a dead body is dropped from an airship onto his doorstep, bringing Detective Inspector Mina Wentworth into his dangerous world, he intends to make her his next possession. Mina can’t afford his interest, however. Horde blood runs through her veins, and despite the nanotech enhancing her body, she barely scratches out a living in London society. Becoming Rhys’s lover would destroy both her career and her family, yet the investigation prevents her from avoiding him…and the Iron Duke’s ruthless pursuit makes him difficult to resist. But when Mina uncovers the victim’s identity, she stumbles upon a conspiracy that threatens the lives of everyone in England. To save them, Mina and Rhys must race across zombie-infested wastelands and treacherous oceans -- and Mina discovers the danger is not only to her countrymen as she finds herself tempted to give up everything to the Iron Duke.

Comment
: I absolutely loved this book!
I mean, I knew it was good because others said so, but I didn't know I would love it so much. It was such fun to read this story... it really was.
This book tells us the story of Mina, she's a young woman in a different reality, a steampunk world where a terrible villain, the Horde, has managed to infect everyone with their nano agents and thus control the population. The Horde is from Asia, or what we understand as Asia so everything connected to them is perceived as the enemy. The Iron Duke is the one an who destroyed the Horde control in London, and with that he gave freedom to the people again, making him an instant hero.
In this new reality the author created, the world is divided in different continents and I was pleased to see there's a Lusitania (Portuguese people are the current lusitanians in a way), the author surely wrote fiction about this one if she considers it a world potency in her fiction story lol
This story starts with Mina, as a police Inspector, going to the Iron Duke's house to investigate a murder and from then on the Duke pursues her and helps and on the way they both discover things about each other and of course, they fall in love. The main couple is amazing and I was very curious about them and their past because of the way the author would give small clues here and there about each one. The there are some secondary characters I really liked and I'm curious to know more about them too.
What I really loved were the small details that seem so outrageous to be considered interesting but at the same time give life to the story. I loved how the author has filed up her world with so many things, so many new rules but still managed to give it a certain air that makes it so likable to read about. Plus the characters aren't as cold as one might expect, I loved all the emotions described, presented, exploited in this book.
I don't know how to correctly explain why I loved this so much, why all the little things and the overall story intrigued me so much or why I still think about some scenes, but the truth is, I loved it and can't wait to read more. I'm really happy to have read it. The story itself is interesting and we follow the story wanting to now who did what an how. But the richness of the book is truly in the details, I assure you.
It's marvelous to read a book always with that feeling of I need to know more! and I did and it was great, I recommend it to everyone. It's a great world, full of details that leave the reader eager and fascinated.

No comments:

Post a Comment