Tuesday, July 24, 2012

CE Murphy - Demon Hunts

Seattle police detective Joanne Walker started the year mostly dead, and she's ending it trying not to be consumed by evil. Literally.
She's proven she can handle the gods and the walking dead. But a cannibalistic serial killer? That's more than even she bargained for. What's worse, the brutal demon can only be tracked one way. If Joanne is to stop its campaign of terror, she'll have to hunt it where it lives: the Lower World, a shamanistic plane of magic and spirits.
Trouble is, Joanne's skills are no match for the dangers she's about to face--and her on-the-job training could prove fatal to the people she's sworn to protect...


Comment: The 5th installment in the Walker Paper Series.
This time Joanne faces a being that eats the flesh of dead people and she has no idea how to stop this. And the only way of stopping the bad guy from killing even more and to protect those around her, she has to go to the Lower World and she knows despite embracing her shaman side lately, she still has a lot to learn before she can be successful in a place of such magic she can do more harm than good if she doesn't know what she's doing.

I have to confess...the biggest reason I read these books is to see if Joanne gains some romance in her life. She does in this one hallelujah, but...not with the guy she ends up with. I know the person she's with in this story is someone important to her, someone she trusts and who knows what's to know about her and even more I know it's not something definitive because after all, she still has feelings for her boss, but it still bothers me a little bit that a heroine (or a hero, for that matter) has intimacy with someone not his/her intended. I'm all for attempting to be happy if the person you don't have but want isn't available. Sometimes people just have to move on with their lives.
But this is fiction and I'm old fashioned. I like the fantasy. The magic of it. I like the illusion that when a character meets their special person, soul mate, mate, beloved, significant other, whatever, their feelings can't be "used" so to speak, in somebody else. And this happened here. Rationally I get it and Joanne deserves someone, but....but she's in love with someone else, that should gain more points than admiration and joy...right?
Ah well..this was the only thing that annoyed me a little bit and not that much because I just know she will have to end up with her boss, somehow (or else I'll scream), eventually. But until then...hummmm
The story...well, it's fun and it presents an interesting plot line. I thought it had once more some scenes where isn't that easy to separate the reality from Joanne's trips to the astral planes and Lower World specially because some scenes kept changing sets and it was almost like ping pong, so a bit confusing. But overall, not badly done. Some people from Joanne's past make an appearance and it shows us more about her personality. I liked knowing more about her feelings and how she has to deal with what she always saw and what really happened..it's called growing up lol, but it was interesting.
Still, I don't consider this one of my favorites. It has some things I didn't enjoy that much so the good parts were a bit overshadowed for me, but this is a continuous series, she would have to deal with some of this stuff at some point.
Now I can't wait for the next one...I keep thinking, will this be the one where she confesses she's in love with him? Lol

No comments:

Post a Comment