Sunday, October 14, 2012

Darynda Jones - First Grave on the Right

This whole grim reaper thing should have come with a manual.
Or a diagram of some kind.
A flow chart would have been nice.

Charley Davidson is a part-time private investigator and full-time grim reaper. Meaning, she sees dead people. Really. And it's her job to convince them to "go into the light." But when these very dead people have died under less than ideal circumstances (like murder), sometimes they want Charley to bring the bad guys to justice. Complicating matters are the intensely hot dreams she's been having about an entity who has been following her all her life...and it turns out he might not be dead after all. In fact, he might be something else entirely. But what does he want with Charley? And why can't she seem to resist him? And what does she have to lose by giving in?

Comment: When I first heard of this author I confess I wasn't too thrilled to read her books, because I imagined they were more chick lit than paranormal.
When I was offered the chance to read it I decided to do it because I was curious though suspicious.

The story is about Charley Davidson, a young woman who sees ghosts and acts like the grim reaper by letting them cross over her. They see her as someone bright and seek her to solve their issues before crossing. Charley is a private investigator and uses her skills to help first her father then her uncle to solve crimes. However, it doesn't stop her to get in trouble but when things get really serious she has this shadow that saves her by removing her attackers.
Charley manages her two activities but she doesn't know exactly what her powers are, but perhaps she's close to finding out...

I have to say I was very surprised with this book. I was expecting some too frivolous (that cover didn't really help) and more chick lit and those type of books aren't my thing although I do read one here and there once in a while.
What I got instead was a book full of adventure with interesting characters that didn't reveal everything too soon or too fast and a plot that intrigued me. I'm very curious about Charley and what she really is and her abilities. I want to know what she's going to do with the things she found out in this book and I want to see her helping dead people cross. I'm curious about her thoughts too, because we had tidbits about her feelings and how she grew up and some things are surely meant to matter in the future.
Charley is a vivacious woman but she feels for real and she tries her best to do the right thing even when she complains. I just wished she could show more her vulnerable side instead of hiding behind futility, which I think sometimes wasn't very accurate or right for the tone it asked for.
I also liked the secondary characters. Some of them gave the feeling Charley wasn't alone and it's always nice to see the main characters having a life, friends. I think it gives the story mire fulfillment and depth.
All in all, a surprising good book. I love to "discover" a book I thought wouldn't appeal to me. It sure makes it worth all of those that promise and don't deliver. I'll keep reading this series as soon as I get the next books, I'm very curious to see what else will happen and what it means for Charley what she found out in this first book about her role as grim reaper and her position in the world.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Sonia! so glad you enjoyed teh book!! :) I know, the cover makes it looks so frivolous! But in the end, First Grave on the Right turned out to be a really fun book with a surprisingly strong mystery :) And the cover still fits. The rest of the books are quite good as well... I'm looking forward to the 4th book that comes out at the end of the month :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    Yes the cover was one if the reasons I didn't get the book sooner.
    Interesting that the covers of the next books have a darker tone...
    I'll buy them as soon as I can.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The second is a bit darker, but I think the third and fourth covers aren't that dark. Plus, there is a funny side to this series, so I'm glad that they did try to capture that in the covers ;)

    ReplyDelete