Monday, November 5, 2012

JR Ward - Rapture

Mels Carmichael, reporter for the Caldwell Courier Journal, gets the shock of her life when a man stumbles in front of her car outside the local cemetery. After the accident, his amnesia is just the kind of mystery she likes to solve, but she soon discovers they’re in over their heads with his past. Over their heads with passion, too...
As shadows walk the line between reality and another realm, and her lover’s memory begins to come back, the two of them learn that nothing is truly dead and buried. Especially when you’re trapped in a no holds barred war between angels and demons. With a soul on the line, and Mels’s heart at risk, what in Heaven -- or in Hell -- will it take to save them both?

Comment: Finally I could jump into this book, after having it for some time now.

This is the story of Matthias and Mels. Matthias was one of the enemies defeated in previous books. Due to plot needs, he's now back and his character will be key in the game good vs evil. Although losing his soul still counts for the bad guys, he's again part of the game and this time will be his second chance to prove himself. He returns with amnesia but slowly starts remembering everything, including his time in Hell.
Mels is a reporter and she comes across Matthias and helps him to the hospital. They click and there's chemistry between them. Things start slow for them, but soon they are immersed in trouble and the need to find happiness.

I've been a fan of ms ward work since I've discovered the Black Dagger Brotherhood back in 2008. Her books seemed so fresh and full of novelties I was immediately addicted to them. When she published the 1st book in this Fallen Angels series I was curious to see what she would do and I have to admit, mostly because I knew the story would be somehow related to the BDB world.
Things weren't exactly like that and I kept reading this series more due to a sort of fidelity, because this series doesn't grab me as much. Still, I keep hoping for special scenes and even references to the other one (which this book has) and so I keep going. Still, I can't say it's as amazing, as special or as addictive to me as BDB is and will ever be. 
I guess my (personal) biggest issue with this series is how we have to "suffer" through the villain's scenes and air time. I'm one of those people who don't read horror novels, doesn't see horror movies and in crime books I always try to get those with romance, to balance the bad stuff. I mean, this isn't horror, what the villain does is bad but it's not over the top, it's mostly annoying and tiring to read about.
In this Fallen Angels series, the bad guy- well, girl as a matter of fact - keeps doing and saying and plotting and starting bad things. Fine, it's her "job". What I don't like is how we have to watch it all the time and how little control we as readers, have over that, because let's face it, when the author doesn't show that many details about the villain's it's almost as we have the power to put aside the bad things, like they don't have as much importance as that, and in this case I feel like dreading the next page because it might have the bad girl doing things or starting to and we can't help it. It's a personal hate, I get why it is the way it is, but I think it's too much.

About the book...apart from my personal dislikes, the book is easily read. It has strong scenes, interesting moments and of course, a HEA.
I don't think it's the best things ever, but it's very enjoyable. The romance happened very fast, but in paranormal almost all of them do, and I liked seeing them think about their lives, about the problems they have to face. Its more believable like this. I think the protagonists' scenes were to the point, most pages, if not all, were filled with important information instead of only filling space.
The other heroes, Jim and Adrian, have a key role too, of course. I liked Adrian. I hope this series ends up being "nice" to him and to the angels overall. He did something in this book that will surely make the reader see him through different eyes. It was a good thing, fear not.
Jim, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be learning the lesson here and he does things I don't think were needed to make the plot move forward, much less to enrich the storyline. He even makes a choice that although I understand and see where the author is probably going with, annoyed the h*** out of em and makes me want to scream. Why, for God's sake, why must authors complicate?? things were starting to shape up, she could have done things in a way, and now it seems it's getting complicated...how annoying, really. I just hope the 7 books mark still stands because if she gets to write more books I'll go crazy.
I'd prefer her to focus her attention on BDB, that's for sure.

Anyway, an entertaining book, a couple of things I'd definitely change, but I can't say it's as bad as it looks, it's just it has some annoying things for me, personally.
Can't wait for the next BDB book, Qhuinn and Blay, "at last" lol

No comments:

Post a Comment