Monday, January 28, 2013

Alyssa Day - Heart of Atlantis

As a war wages between the immortals of Atlantis and those of the vampire realm, a Poseidon warrior fights to save his world -- and the woman he loves. And no risk is too great. 
Alaric, Poseidon’s High Priest, has made a vow to Quinn, the woman he loves and the leader of the Resistance: to save her friend Jack before his last bit of humanity has been drained. Should Alaric succeed, there’s one intimate danger: he may lose Quinn to the love of the man whose life he saved. But damn Atlantis to the nine hells, he’s willing to put Quinn’s wishes first, regardless of the consequences.
The final jewel of Poseidon’s trident has turned up in the hands of mysterious Ptolemy Reborn, who claims to be descended from Atlantean royalty. He’s about to reveal to the world that Atlantis is real, positioning himself as king. But this magical terrorist is bent on chaos. The only warrior who can stop him is following his own path, driven by the even more powerful force of love. Atlantean powers over the sea could prove just as cataclysmic -- for Quinn’s love, Alaric might drown the entire world.


Comment: This is the latest book in the Warriors of Poseidon series. The series beginning was quite strong in my opinion and the warriors had their own value and interest.
Throughout the books the readers have seen Alaric fighting his feelings for Quinn and vice versa because if they got together it would men the end of the hope to win a war. Still, readers would cry for a scene between them as this couple was the most wanted.

Alaric is the high priest in Atlantis, he's powerful and on him depend many things and people. He can't risk so many things for a woman but the truth is that from the moment he touched Quinn he recognized she's the one for him, if only they could be together...
Quinn is a fighter. She's been a rebel in the war against evil vampires for so long she did so many bad things she doesn't think anyone might love her but Alaric made her feel different and although she doesn't believe any good can come out of it, she still softens when she's in the same room with him.

Before reading this book I came cross a review graded C. I was immediately suspicious of the book, on which I had great hopes, although I didn't read that review to see what might be "wrong".
The fact is, I've wanted to read this book for ages. Ever since book #1, where Quinn and Alaric met. Then all the other main characters had their books and one or two were weaker in my opinion but I always imagined this one to be great, it had to be because every time this couple would meet, sparks flew.
I liked the book. I liked the adventure of seeing them go through everything until they gave in and Alaric was even up to give up his powers if needed just to be with Quinn. I liked that they had good scenes between them and the romance was good too. I think there was too much caution on both their sides but I don't think it bothered me that much considering the kind of pasts they had, something which we were given glimpses of in this book. Still, it could have been a little bit more desperate,  mean it was a long time coming...
What I think was the weakest thing in the book is the secondary aspects, like details that weren't treated as well as one might like, well to me at least lit looked like it no longer mattered after many books highlighting that...so, in the end it came out as unrelevant, which I think wasn't well done.
Still, I can't help but enjoy the fact a series is completed and finished in its core because the plot reached an end even if more stories in this "world" can happen.
I think a thing here and there could have had a different treatment, because some things are a bit unnecessary and I thought they weren't important enough to be mentioned but I guess even little things can have their importance, many authors use them wisely, but in this case I think it wasn't the case. So, in the end a good book but with unnecessary stuff too.
I was glad to have read the book, even with all the things that could have been better, it was still an interesting end to the series and if any more books came out of Atlantis I will consider reading them but I don't think I'll keep up with this author...besides this book had delays, had issues and while it's understandable, it still annoys and I think the reader isn't the guilty one here. I feel bad for this because I think waiting ruined many readers mood to the series.
Anyway, despite all, a good installment in the end and this series will remain in my heart for sure, especially for what it meant.

No comments:

Post a Comment