Thursday, April 4, 2013

Virna DePaul - Shades of Temptation

Carrie Ward understands dangerous men, and she's got the scars to prove it. These days, the Special Investigations Group detective saves her risk taking for the job. But when she's asked to pursue a high-profile serial killer, she'll have to join forces with the last man she wants to depend on--Jase Tyler, an ace senior detective who's as reckless as she is cautious. And despite her best intentions, the sparks begin to fly.
As Carrie and Jase race to try to save the next victim, the passion that simmers between them ignites. But a cunning killer at the top of his game is challenging Carrie to play to the very end. Now all she can count on are her instincts-and Jase, the one man daring enough to keep her safe....


Comment: This book was offered to me last Christmas. A friend told me she gave it to me as an experience, if I liked it, she might read it herself. I also use some people as my guinea pigs of reading...lol, said like this sounds pretty awful, but it's not, really. Just a way to read things with an excuse - like we needed one.
Anyway, my friend saw wrong and this is actually the 2nd book of a series but it's OK because I got the feeling it's all distinct although focusing on the same group of characters.

This book tells us the story of Carrie and Jase, they're part of a group of detectives in a police force and they feel attracted to each other although only recently having admitted it. After Carrie's crash with a young man she killed, she feels more vulnerable because she hesitated and now she's back to conduct her first solo case with a serial killer. Jase is asked to help because it's too much work for Carrie, although she doesn't see it exactly like that. They both have to deal with the case and their personal feelings for each other while things happen around them...but will they figure things on time?

This wasn't a bad book. It wasn't that great either but I can't say I had a bad time with it. It surely shows the author's knowledge of police procedures, as she has a past around it.
My issues aren't about the story itself or the details, it's more about the way things moved along. 

First, I didn't think the romance was that well done. Sure, it went through the motions and the author explored relatively well the issues between the pair and their individual problems. It took time since they admitted their feelings but Carrie was reluctant to give in and Jase didn't pressure her that much, so it wasn't unbalanced, but...despite their talk about attraction and feelings I can't help thinking it lacked some passion, at least I wasn't very convinced of their attraction even when they were kissing or talking about it. Carrie liked Jase a lot but she wanted to take her time so I don't get why almost in the end she suddenly already loved him...I think it would have been more believable if she went to thinking she was or if we had known she was in love before...this way it felt extremely rushed. Jase himself looked better and his "transition" from attraction to love felt smoother, so...unbalanced in my opinion.

Then there's the crime and the plot around it. We know the killer's identity from the start but not his motivations so that part was interesting but...the killer was always talking about the clues he was leaving for the police and then the police would find them and speak of what it meant and they always guessed the killer's steps...it was very annoying to read things twice, the reader didn't have to guess anything and was even told twice! When we finally understand why this is happening, I was left a bit meh. It wasn't that amazing to be honest. But it offered an interesting take on the motivations and how the killer would express his tastes...in a way it was interesting, but it wasn't developed in the most fascinating way the way I see it...

The book wasn't that bad like I said, but as usual it's a bit easier to focus on what didn't work.
Still, I was curious over the other characters and some investigations segments were interesting to follow. But this isn't no Karen Rose or Tess Gerritsen, my favorites in the crime and romance genre.It was a good attempt tough, and I'm thinking about the next book, which I hope it's good.
I don't think I need to read the first because we know hat is happening to the protagonist couple and that information is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment