Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Abigail Roux - Touch & Geaux

After having their faces plastered across the news during a high-profile case, FBI Special Agents Ty Grady and Zane Garrett have become more useful to the Bureau posing for photo ops than working undercover. Just as Zane is beginning to consider retirement a viable option, Ty receives a distress call from a friend, leading them to a city rife with echoes from the past.
New Orleans wears its history on its streets, and it’s the one place Ty’s face could get him killed. Surrounded by trouble as soon as they land, Ty and Zane are swiftly confronted with a past from which Ty can’t hide—one with a surprising connection to Zane’s.
As threats close in from all directions, both men must come to terms with the lives they’ve led and the lies they’ve told. They soon discover that not all their secrets are out yet, and nothing lasts forever. 

Comment: This is the latest installment in the series where we follow the lives and adventures of Ty and Zane. This time the guys were minding their own business, even helping an institution and Ty got a call from Nick, asking for help in New Orleans. Ty has reasons to want to stay away but his loyalty surpasses his issues and together with Zane, there they go.

In New Orleans they figure out there is no problem with Nick and as they start to enjoy their time with Ty's ex team, someone from the past shows up and starts a huge amount of problems, the most heartbreaking one being a fight between Ty and Zane for reasons we couldn't dream of.

I found the story engaging as always. There's something about these characters that rings true, probably the way we seem to connect with their feelings and how they process their thoughts. It's not something as easy as that and obviously it depends a lot on the author's talent to make the words flow and appear easy but the thing is, I care about them and I like to think I can see something special in the story that makes it alive.
The guys go to New Orleans and a whole set of troubles start up too. the technical stuff like how they do their job and their fighting skills and spy techniques and so on it's all very interesting and it makes the book more focused and full but to be honest my main interest is really the romance and the characterization of Ty and Zane and their interactions.
When this book started, the guys were in a great place, in terms of their relationship. In the end they still were but there's a huge deal addressed in the story which I was quite surprised with. I'm not sure if I were more shocked with it or with the fact the author chose that as a conflict. I mean, I have to wonder of it was a plot line thought from the beginning or something that happened to suit the path the story has taken... Either way, I didn't expect this and I was completely surprised. I even cried a bit in the parts where they fought because it seemed so serious and as a reader I care for them and it was awful to see them at odds after so many books where things were so well.
In the end, things were solved and the guys talked about things.I was once again happy for them but now I can't help think about went wrong. Everyone knows after we know something we can't pretend we didn't hear it, so I fear this might impact my judgment in further books. Let's wait and see.
Talking about that, this story ended with a shocking thing, not completely good, but certainly amusing and I can't wait to know what happens next. It's not a cliffhanger per se, but it sure made me want to scream now that I have to wait.
It was an enjoyable book yes, but it had all the angst and more some of the previous books didn't, so perhaps the author is compensating? But it's still Ty and Zane, so...

No comments:

Post a Comment