Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Camilla Lackberg - The Drowning

Christian Thydell's dream has come true: his debut novel, The Mermaid, is published to rave reviews. So why is he as distant and unhappy as ever? When crime writer Erica Falck, who discovered Christian's talents, learns he has been receiving anonymous threats, she investigates not just the messages but also the author's mysterious past. Meanwhile, one of Christian's closest friends is missing. Erica's husband, Detective Patrik Hedstrom, has his worst suspicions confirmed as the mind-games aimed at Christian and those around him become a disturbing reality. But, with the victims themselves concealing evidence, the investigation is going nowhere. Is their silence driven by fear or guilt? And what is the secret they would rather die to protect than live to see revealed? International bestseller Camilla Lackberg delivers a chilling and suspenseful mystery that will grip the reader right until its staggering final twist.

Comment: This is the sixth book by Camilla Lackberg where the heroes are Patrick and Erica. This couple has been involved in some mystery adventures with crime in the mix. The previous book ended with a happy surprise and I was curious to see how further along in this one we'd see that included in the plot.

This book is centered in Christian Thydell, a librarian and writer, often helper of Erica in her researches. Christian wrote a successful book but something isn't well in his private life. At the same time, a body is found in the ice and is the man reported missing, someone beloved in the community. Are these things related  and if so, who would want to hurt that man and why is Christian Thydell suddenly weird and what is he keeping secret?

I am completely amazed by this writer's talent. I've told every time I talk about this author how well she mixes and balances the crime and the domestic sides of her novels. There's always a mystery and crime investigation but her books are much more than this because we see the personal side of many characters, especially the ones not involved in the mystery. So, we have two blocks, both serious in their own level, to oppose each other and making it more easy on the reader. Not many authors manage this well. Anyway, this time the author has kept this and I love how both sides seem to come together and although the crime parts are obviously more explored, I feel so happy to see she isn't letting go of the other parts and they keep being an important aspect of her books. Very good.

But what really got me this time was how engineered this plot was! I wasn't expecting the solution to this crime to be that one! I was really surprised, not for the identity of the guilty one, I rarely try hard to find out who is, I prefer to carry on and be swept away every time, but this book really is amazing because not only the guilty one is a surprise but the reasons behind the whole thing are such a surprise too, I never imagined that or thought it could be! I don't have words, I was completely caught by surprise and from beginning to end I couldn't let this book go, I only stopped when I was forced to.

The crime is very focused on the psychological side, but in a way all of them are. Still, I think the author did an interesting job because she didn't dump all the information about the subject which even someone not very knowledgeable about it can understand there's a lot ore about it to explain. But we have the necessary and the reader can make their own ideas about things, I thought this to be a smart move on her part and I think it's one of the reasons she is so successful.
The characters don't act weirdly and the ones we root for are still a big part of the action and we see them playing their part as usual. The end can be quite the suspense but I'm not afraid of what is to come, but really eager to know what happens. Can't wait to get my hands on the next book!

This book was perfect for me. I really didn't find any fault, anything to change or to point to another direction. This is perfection for me and I really recommend it to everyone because even if others don't see it as I do, I still think it's a good thriller and an interesting read, wonderful to read all day long while is raining/snowing/windy outside. Enjoy!
Grade: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment