Monday, December 2, 2013

Elisabeth Naughton - Enslaved

After being rescued from the Underworld, Gryphon is plauged by strange voices and an evil foreboding. He believes that his only hope for salvation is to track down the goddess who cursed him...until he meets Maelea.
A prisoner with no bars, Maelea encounters Gryphon on her quest to find Olympus. He's about to test her loyalty to the gods, and she's ready to find out if he still has a heart worth saving...


Comment: This is the fifth installment in the Eternal Guardians series by the author. This is the story of another Argonaut in the quest to secure a special relic and keep the world safe from the Titans. This story also takes place right after the happenings in the previous one, Enraptured. I was curious to see how the story would develop.

Gryphon is an Argonaut who's had a terrible experience in the Underworld and now he lives with the memories of those days until he was rescued. He doesn't feel very worthy and only wants to kill Atalanta, the woman who tortured him.
Maelea is the daughter of two gods but she isn't welcome in either of their places, she really want to go to Olympus but for centuries that hasn't happened. The two of them join forces to run from the Misos colony where they are in order to reach their goals without putting those they care for at risk. But things go a little differently...

Well, as soon as I've finished the book I immediately thought it wasn't as good as the others and I wasn't as dedicated to their story like I was in other books, which is bothersome. Even more so because something major happens in this book, I guess because the author set things for this to be the last book with her publisher...I suppose part of why it doesn't feel as well shaped is due to that. The book after this one is a self publication, which I haven't got yet, but I hope the stories after can have the same intensity my favorite story in the series, the third book, Tempted, had....

My biggest issue with this story is how everything is more than seen in the genre. Everything happens the same way and I didn't have the same vibe of freshness and difference which the other books gave. The storyline keeps up, the characters and the mythology is there as well, but the special things that made these books interesting seems to be missing here. The main couple runs away and in the trip they seem to be at odds but they fall in love and in the end they defend each other before their friends and they try to save the other. How many times have we seen this? But the way it was told just didn't grab me, it was like a repetition of the same movie we've seen countless times. In the end there's a twist I didn't see coming, but I don't think it was enough to save the day. 
It almost looks like I didn't like the book, but I did. It was a good story, not amazing, but still it provided what was needed to keep up the plots at game. It just wasn't innovative, addictive or full of special details. A bit of a letdown.

The two main characters suit each other too well. I have some trouble believing the veracity of true feelings like everlasting love while the two of them are running for their lives. In this cases, I almost wished some more time could pass so we could believe their love is real. What do I know, I've never been in love, but it feels so rushed, another romance rule I never really went for, but sometimes it is believable, in this case it felt as much of a trick as the plot line was.
Gryphon had his issues, I felt for his troubles and really wished he found happiness. Maelea as well, in particular once I've read about her past. I thin they look well together, this isn't the issue, but it was fast...very obviously so. Still, it was nice to see them both making some changes in their choices and expectations to suit a new feeling and a new person in their lives. Especially Maelea's, which I felt was a real sacrifice what she gave up, not in real terms, but when it came to her life dream. 

In the end, a nice story, but very lacking when compared to the others and not as passionate or attractive as the others. I hope the next one is more intense.
Grade: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment