Saturday, December 21, 2013

Rob Thurman - Nightlife

Welcome to New York City - a troll under the Brooklyn Bridge, a boggle in Central Park, and a beautiful vampire in a penthouse on the Upper East Side. Most humans are oblivious to the preternatural nightlife around them, but Cal Leandros is only half human.
His father’s dark lineage is the stuff of nightmares – and his entire otherworldly elf race are after Cal. His half brother, Niko, gave up college to keep them on the run for four years, but now the Grendel monsters are back. And Cal is about to learn why they want him. He is the key to unleashing their hell on earth. The fate of the human world will be decided in the fight of Cal’s life..


Comment: I've had this book to read for more than two year surely. Why I got it, well it was said to be similar to that TV show, Supernatural, with two brothers. Well, I never watched the show myself but I have a friend and she's a huge fan of one of the characters and she used to talk endlessly about that and it was around that time I knew about this book. My friend's buzz added to a good opinion here and there prompted me to get this but as you all must deal with in your own book piles, this one stayed behind until now.

This is the story of Cal Leandros, he's half human, half something and all he knows is his brother Niko and himself have been on the run forever, since Cal had an experience with his father's species, which he isn't even sure of it was. 
The brother's lives seem to be safe enough until Niko sees a being like Cal's father in the park and they start to work on their run but things don't go as smoothly as they wished and from unsuspected allies to unlikely foes, the two guys have a lot to deal with...

Ok, so I enjoyed this enough...but I have to admit I wasn't as impressed as that. I wanted something more definitive and apparently this series is long and things seem to work a determined way, but not the way I imagined, meaning the guy's lives will be always like this, on the run, meeting new enemies and facing challenges all the time...? Ok, I'll go to the point, will they ever have a home, a safe place, a routine, maybe love lives? I would keep reading if I knew these things would appear and work out for them. Just adventures while learning life lessons can be fun but it will bore me after a while...so, anyone there a fan of this who can give me some unspoiled ideas about what is to come?

Cal is an interesting character. I liked his POV and how he felt things an how he used humor to diffuse some of his fears and doubts. But I was really interested in Niko and wanted to see more of him, so I kind of wished this would be two narrators instead so I could have Niko'c voice too. I was intrigued the better part of the time until that thing happened to Cal. Who read it knows about the mirror thing. I didn't like that change of things and did count the pages until that was solved. I can see the appeal but to be honest I wanted to scream at the poor book because that happened. The rest of the story was actually interesting and the beginning is easy to follow and to read. I found the pace of the story appropriate for a new story with so many things to know about and for a reader not inside the world yet.

I liked the structure around this story, the supernatural beings humans have no idea are there and it would have be fun to learn more but I guess it would feel too much in just a book, plus half way through I realized this could only mean a premeditated series concept by the author, because we have clues, we have situations not completely told or explained and it's obviously to come again in future stories. I just think the end itself could have been more definitive, especially about the involved characters' future.

I think this is an interesting book and perfect for those who like different world, who want to be distracted. It's full of little things, both character's traits and sentences teaching something, and these things help shaping the world created and our perception of what happens, Still, I think there's also an aura of doom in the works, that something might not work as we want. This isn't a romance and I guess part of my mix up feelings about it is the knowing things might keep up in this somewhat grey tone, no matter the funny comebacks exchanged between the characters.

Overall, I liked this. I don't now at this point if I want to read more. Right now no, but I confess I want to know what happens to Niko, in particular. He's mysterious and I really wanted him to offer some more stability to Cal and prove him happiness can happen. But it doesn't seem likely, considering his personality. Still, what fun it would be...
I hope someone can give me some pointers, but I won't read more this soon.
Grade: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment