Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Dianne Duvall - Darkness Rises

Krysta is used to getting the drop on vampires. Her "special abilities" aren't much, but the plan is simple--she plays helpless pretty young thing to lure them in. Then her shoto swords come out and it's bye-bye, bloodsucker. Until one night she finds herself with an unexpected ally. He's a vampire, all right, but different. Mysterious. Handsome. And more interested in saving her skin than draining it.
Etienne has been an Immortal Guardian for two hundred years--long enough to know that Krysta is special. He can't stop thinking about her long legs, even more than her short swords. Then he discovers the vamps she's exterminating have friends in high places, and the Guardians are in danger too. He'll have to accept Krysta's help to save them. The stakes for a mortal are high. But the cost to his heart might be higher. . .


Comment: This story is the most recent installment in the Immortal Guardians series. So far, the previous books have been interesting, many imaginative details and scenes but overall nothing truly amazing. Until this book. After reading this one, suddenly I'm so eager to read more and I can't wait for the next story!

Krysta and her brother have been fighting vampires on their own for years but things aren't easy for them, money and time related.One night, Krysta is seen by Etienne, one of the immortal guardians, and he helps her. There's something about her that caught his eye and from that moment on, he follows and helps her in her huntings. Obviously Krysta and her brother Sean are special and that is why they can fight, but vampires are much stronger so Etienne feels he has to help before something bad happens...

This book was very good. Like I said I've been following the series and not one of the previous books felt as easy to read and enjoyable as this one, despite all the new things the author has inserted to enrich the plot.
In this story we have a couple that, as expected, falls in love fast, but I thought they suited each other pretty well. Each had their own issues but nothing a good talk and a confident partner wouldn't help with.

The plot continues from the other books, so we can follow what has been happening. Although the books are done in a way a new reader can have each story as a stand alone, I feel it's one of those where it's best to read everything just to have a more solid knowledge of what has been happening.
What I really like about this novel in particular, something we were already seeing in the previous story, is how balanced things are becoming in terms of air time for all the characters. Of course, the main couple is the one where the focus is on more often, as it should be, but I have to confess I am a fan of this trend of putting up more than one or two people's POVs and we got to see many scenes from other character's POV, especially someone who I suspect will be the next protagonist and, once more, the key player in this world, Seth, the leader of the immortals.
I don't know if I should call this a trend exactly, but I like when we have many people talking, it makes the story feel warmer, more populated and where everyone matters and it's not just a way to write a story and that's it, next. No, the author presents POVs from previous characters as well and we get to see what many are doing...it feels like family and I love that.

The romance is sweet and fast but I didn't feel it was unbalanced. I thin it suited the type and tone of story and I was quite happy when they got their HEA.

Th plot is going a way I didn't think at first. I thought it would focus on vampires, or the idea of vampirism in the good old battle good vs evil, but right now it seems the author ha turned to a special direction and I can't wait to see if my ideas are right, which I think will happen already in the next book, whose main characters I suspect will go that way...let's see.

So all in all, a good story, all the right ingredients to suit a paranormal romance, a good thought world and interesting new details to make it more flavorful.
I hope it won't take too long for the next one to be out.
If someone is looking for a new, good paranormal series, here it is. Enjoy!
Grade: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment