Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Sally Mackenzie - The Naked King

One night of slight overindulgence-oh, all right, he was drunk-and Stephen Parker-Roth finds he must betroth himself to prevent yet another scandal. But his "intended" is lovely, a redheaded beauty under her horrendous, unfashionable bonnet, and before long, he's congratulating himself on compromising such an excellent candidate-and anticipating what other naughtiness they'll get caught at before the wedding...
Lady Anne Marston has long since given up any thought of marriage. That is the price she pays for the mistakes of her past. But one little conversation with a handsome rogue should never have led to a sham engagement. Even if it did end in a rather shocking kiss...in broad daylight...on the front step of London's premier gossip. Now, trapped between a secret and a lie, Anne must somehow disentangle herself from this charming, maddening man before the truth comes out-or her heart gives in...


Comment: This is the last book in the naked nobility series by the author. I've had it for a couple of months now and decided it was best to get it out of the way and be done with another series, always a good thing, especially if the series is finished.

This story features Stephen Parker-Roth, another brother to two protagonists of the previous couple of books. The action starts when he meets Anne Marston by chance on the street and by accident they fall and one of those older, gossipy women sees them and starts spreading the news they are compromised, so they agree to say thy are engaged and later on would call it off, except as time goes by and both their lives get lined more and more, it becomes real the facts they will have to marry and will actually like it...

Well, I didn't get amazed by this story, not that I didn't like it, I'm as much a fan of mushy inconsequential love stories as any romance reader, but having read others with this type of plot, I have to say this one was a bit of a let down. I'm used to the author's style, yes, but I still hope for a good book. This can be seen as good by many, after all, the most important thing to know about readers is we all have a personal POV and opinion and we all can red he same book and think countless different ways to talk about it. I'm not worried I didn't think this brilliant and other did, but it does bother me a bit personally that I didn't see more beauty in the story than the usual...I guess in a way this author stays in that place we all put authors who have something but don't quite reach it putting their works in the middle of out personal lists, and this author I'm afraid will certainly be part of the not so good but not bad scope...

The romance between Stephen and Anne was OK I suppose...she had an interesting past and it provided a good twist in the type of story set in this case, but still, even despite the pace and good things I still get a little bit annoyed at how the author always needs to stand out the sexiness of the characters, the sexual side of every thing...So many readers, historical ones at that, do the same but with more elegance you could say. I now these books are meant to state the sexual side of the relationship, many historicals do, but I like subtlety, I like seriousness too. I think the major issue with this story was how, despite the seriousness of several subjects addressed in the plot, still the playfulness of the sexual side of things overpowered everything else. The story could still be funny and cute without almost, I repeat, almost going into tacky territory...

So, the plot plus the romance, plus the writing are all the author's trademark, I knew what I was getting, but I still hoped for something a little bit more....polished. I'll keep hoping though, if I ever read more books by the author.
I think the situations in this book were done very lightly, despite the power of some issues, like what happened in Anne's past, and the way it changed her personality and her perception of herself, I think these two subjects were worthy of further and deeper polishing in the story...but overall I can't say I was completely surprised, just disappointed that I wasn't.
For those who just want to let go of reality, this is a good one...
Grade: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment