Thursday, February 13, 2014

Samantha Young - On Dublin Street

Jocelyn Butler has been hiding from her past for years. But all her secrets are about to be laid bare…
Four years ago, Jocelyn left her tragic past behind in the States and started over in Scotland, burying her grief, ignoring her demons, and forging ahead without attachments. Her solitary life is working well—until she moves into a new apartment on Dublin Street where she meets a man who shakes her carefully guarded world to its core.
Braden Carmichael is used to getting what he wants, and he’s determined to get Jocelyn into his bed. Knowing how skittish she is about entering a relationship, Braden proposes an arrangement that will satisfy their intense attraction without any strings attached.
But after an intrigued Jocelyn accepts, she realizes that Braden won’t be satisfied with just mind-blowing passion. The stubborn Scotsman is intent on truly knowing her… down to the very soul.


Comment: This book was picked as the read of the month in one of my book clubs. Well, the one I have now, because the other has taken a sort of pause...anyway, this was the chosen book and I didn't knew about it, although it's already translated to my country and apparently it has originated some opposite opinions because the publisher here decided to change th cover and presented it as a secret box or something..weird and exaggerated in my opinion because this book isn't about secrets...it's about love and trust and hope.

This is the story of Jocelyn Butler. Something tragic happened when she was a teenager and she never really got over that. She moved from the US to Scotland and lives a simple life and works as a waitress in a bar. Her previous roommate had to move so the story starts when Joss is looking at a apartment on Dublin street and she immediately wants to live there with Ellie, someone friendly and full of joy. She gets a surprise when Braden, Ellie's sister is the guy she met in a cab on the way over...and with time, Joss accepts and embraces many truths and who knows what else...

I liked tis story a lot. I think ms Young did an amazing job of portraying someone with deep fears and reluctance because of traumatic things in the past, but still not so over the top that doesn't appreciate life. I think one of my favorite things in the book was how serious Joss was. This story isn't about sex or erotic experiences or anything like that. There's sex yes, but to me it wasn't exaggerated or too much. At least I never had that feeling, and this isn't read as erotica and those who say it surely haven't read any hard core erotica books before.
Therefore, a mildly serious main character and not that many sex scenes in the reader's face made the perfect duo for my personal taste. In fact, the main couple doesn't have sex until well into the story, if not half way through, then close to it. There's a lot of sexual tension and chemistry I really enjoyed seeing. Like I said once before, sometimes it's sexier to see the game of seduction and sexual tension than the actual sex.

Joss has some issues and she took not so good choices because of what happened. I don't think I'd have reacted like her but everyone is different and people react differently to the same things so...I can't say it isn't believable. However, that shaped her view of the world and she decided to be o the safe side and never to trust completely in anyone...I liked how she gradually, slowly changed after meeting Braden. He always challenged her and the way I saw it, not in a domineering way...yes he had some "I'm the protector" vibes but I don't think everything was a power play for him. In the end their personalities matched and I thought their romance was good. I loved their epilogue!
Some people say this reminds them of BDSM relationships...I can't say I saw that. Actually, the thought never crossed my mind while reading. I think this comes from people's preconceived ideas about the origins of the story or perhaps some influences but the book stands on its own. I really liked it a lot!

In the end I was very happy to have read this. I plan to read the others when I finally find the opportunity to get the rest of the books. I recommend this to anyone who likes contemporary.
This has many elements and the secondary plot related subjects are also interesting to read about. Something to really keep up with.
Grade: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment