Saturday, March 22, 2014

Anne Bishop - Murder of Crows

After winning the trust of the terra indigene residing in the Lakeside Courtyard, Meg Corbyn has had trouble figuring out what it means to live among them. As a human, Meg should be barely tolerated prey, but her abilities as a cassandra sangue make her something more.
The appearance of two addictive drugs has sparked violence between the humans and the Others, resulting in the murders of both species in nearby cities. So when Meg has a dream about blood and black feathers in the snow, Simon Wolfgard—Lakeside's shape-shifting leader—wonders whether their blood prophet dreamed of a past attack or of a future threat.
As the urge to speak prophecies strikes Meg more frequently, trouble finds its way inside the Courtyard. Now the Others and the handful of humans residing there must work together to stop the man bent on reclaiming their blood prophet—and stop the danger that threatens to destroy them all.


Comment: This has been one of the most talked about books recently. I also couldn't wait to read it and I did start it the moment it arrived. I think the author did such a good job with the previous one I had hopes for this one and, to me personally, she did deliver.

In this sequel to Written in Red, Meg is an established part of the Others' society, opposed to the human one. Despite this, Meg's presence has lead to the acceptance of more humans in the courtyard, especially the ones friends to Meg. At the same time our heroine is setting up her life after the happenings in the previous book, another threat comes to stir the life in the community. War seems to be on the horizon and Meg is once more the key because her talent and abilities are things some people want at any cost. But the Others won't just let what's theirs be taken...

I won't tell much about this book because so many people have reviewed this book recently and I think the majority of the readers agree this is a winning book again, even if they mostly disagree on some points. I, too, thought this book kept the wonderful world building we expected and we could see more of the author's ability to create. Fantasy is beautiful in this, the ability to creation because fantasy authors use settled things to base their plots but they create, they're artists with a pencil (ok, a computer keypad) and they can think a multitude of details to put in the worlds they create and envision. Anne Bishop has the latent and the imagination and also important, the voice. All this is beautiful but she can write things in a very special way, where the reader can learn so many things from a character with a scene, a conversation...this isn't only creative writing, it has to be a talented voice working too. I have complete confidence a good part of her success is her talent and not only her stories.
All this to say, this book has many information, details, scenes and ideas that enrich the plot and the world, but wouldn't be as important without a good writer behind. I think this book has a feeling, a whole aura if I can call it that. It's simply special.

Meg is the main character and she is key to many things, although like so many others have said already, she didn't seem to have such a strong presence in this book. Despite this, we see her evolve, get more confidant and also thinking about her relationship with Simon. This is slowly developing which can be good because of Meg's past experiences and she needs to believe in herself. But on the other hand, I also hope this doesn't take very long because how amazing and interesting it will be to see them interact with each other if they're a couple..and what about the others around them? Hopefully this will happen soon. But this slowness isn't that bad, it just builds up more eagerness to see them and a smile when they do.

As for the plot, I won't say much about it, many things seem to be developing, being set up for the next book...I wonder how many this series will have...and most characters are deep into the situations because of the apparent war in the works. I have faith this won't reach the characters we love directly because each character has importance and a unique print in the story and I hope to see them all more.

My humble opinion is this book is wonderful, a little bit less than the other, after all the novelty isn't as big, but it has so many elements and the author's trademark society interactions as a community, I feel always glad to read and it's like time doesn't exist while I'm reading a book by this author. I still have high hopes for the next one. Despite a little not as well done thing here and there in terms of plot sequence, I still thought this to be good for me and for my enjoyment of it.
Grade: 9/10

1 comment:

  1. I am SO glad that you loved the book! I also have high hopes for the next book and the series. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete