Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Jeaniene Frost - Up From the Grave

Lately, life has been unnaturally calm for vampires Cat Crawfield and her husband Bones. They should have known better than to relax their guard, because a shocking revelation sends them back into action to stop an all-out war…
A rogue CIA agent is involved in horrifying secret activities that threaten to raise tensions between humans and the undead to dangerous heights. Now Cat and Bones are in a race against time to save their friends from a fate worse than death…because the more secrets they unravel, the deadlier the consequences. And if they fail, their lives—and those of everyone they hold dear— will be hovering on the edge of the grave.


Comment: Well, here it is. Jeanine Frost has said this would be the last book in the Night Huntress series and here it is, released and apparently loved, if one looks at GR averages. I have to admit, I feel a little bit melancholic over this...books are like friends, they stay with us for so long, and more so books in series we love, because they speak the strongest to us. 

My comments won't be very plot related I'm afraid... I feel the idea of seeing a series reach an end after years with it, and this at a point where I can't say it's in decline, as a matter of fact, the opposite happens. I know if the author carried on for...say, more three or four books, certainly she could find sub plots to work out and faithful fans would find intrigue enough to follow.

We all know about and have probably read books part of series that slowly go to their painful end. The author also said she didn't want that to happen with Night Huntress. She wanted it to end while it was on the high end and while people still loved it. She didn't want to keep writing just because and taking the risk of letting the series down somehow and to die at a point where it would be mercy. Well, not her words per se, but it's how I saw it to mean.

In a way I agree with her...many times I've kept going on with series I, personally, feel are dragging and dragging just to milk dry an original story that has given its best and its worst eventually. I applaud ms Frost for her rational decision, although many certainly might feel she just didn't want to go on. I wonder how this could be, after all her books are her family too, she more than any reader would feel that way. It certainly must be bittersweet to finish this. Something that gave her recognition, respect, fans and happiness over its success, now ends and a part of her feels sad too, I'm sure.

But this doesn't mean it's the end for her as a writer or of this world, just not Cat and Bones as protagonists, at least this was how I understood it. 
Still, like I said, a part of me is sad over this. I confess when I read the last scene in the book, I didn't cry but I sure felt like it! I think the notion of the end together with the kind of goodbye Bones and Cat give the reader...I won't tell spoilers, but the story ends with Cat and Bones going to live away from everyone for a while... very apropos to the reality, wouldn't you say? Everyone was saying a sort of goodbye and to see the characters almost partake on this idea...it made me sad, despite accepting the reason why is stopping.

The book is the end, so expect the solution to some unfinished business. Expect surprises too, and some emotion. I was riveted to the story as always, and in a way, this book is the proof Cat and Bones are solid, and look out for each other. I couldn't be happier with the notion they are happy and in love forever.

The end is here, then. All of us had to say goodbye to many things and it's hard to think about it. We can live for other things and people after, but despite the memories, there's still the frozen feeling of that moment when you realize it's goodbye. This is hard to deal with. How silly, it's just a book, one we can re-read until exhaustion...but it's still goodbye and I dare any devout reader to not understand the feeling. Curtain's call has come at last.
Grade: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment