Thursday, August 21, 2014

Elizabeth Hunter - The Scribe

Hidden at the crossroads of the world, an ancient race battles to protect humanity, even as it dies from within.
Ava Matheson came to Istanbul looking for answers, but others came looking for her. A reckless warrior guards her steps, but will Malachi’s own past blind him to the truth of who Ava might be? While ancient forces gather around them, both Ava and Malachi search for answers.
Whispering voices. Deadly touch. Their passion should be impossible... or it could be the only thing that will keep them alive.

Comment: This is the book chosen for this month's read at the book club where I participate. I had more but we've taken a stand by. This book club aims to read paranormal but we've
decided to read more genres from this year on. Some months I don't read and comment because the books chosen are titles I've already read and I prefer to read new things.
Anyway, this month the book we picked was this one and I had absolutely no idea of what it was about so I've started it without any preconceived ideas.

This is Ava's story. She has been different all her life foe some unknown reason and she hears voices in her head, always strange and seemingly foreign but she has sought help and no one could help her get rid of them.
Ava goes to Istanbul looking for a doctor who might help her and there she meets Malachi, someone she first thinks is her new body guard but after finding out her father called the last one, she wonders who is this guy she was even starting to be friends with. After trying to confront him, Ava embarks on a voyage of self discovery and love...

Not knowing what to expect, I have to say I was very entertained by this story. It has many new elements not seen all the time in paranormal and quite the fresh take on the whole angels angle. 
In this story, the main issue is the fight among fallen angels. Some fell and wanted power so they seduce humans and their offspring are evil, the called Grigoris. Some of those who fell asked for forgiveness and their reward was the protection of their children, so they are called Irins and Irinas.
This story focuses on how their battle is on and how the Irins, whose numbers aren't growing anymore keep trying to save humans and to kill as many grigoris as possible.

Ava is special and in Istanbul she meets Malachi, a Irin who catches her eye because she can't hear his voice the same she hears the other people's. His voice in her head is calmer, more subdued and infuses her with peace. But as the Irins are curious about Ava and how she can be human but showing characteristics unseen for so long, so do the grigories and the action develops mostly in the running from danger and the romance.

This is a new author for me, so her style could be something I might not like much, but I liked reading this book. I just think the romance happened a bit to fast although this has become such an expected trait in paranormal romances, once barely blinks the eye these days. Still, it would have been nice to see some more time passing by.
Plus, this is supposed to be first of a trilogy and by the way this book ends and the blurb from book #2 -which I've gotten already - I assume this will be a series about this couple, Ava and Malachi and how their relationship will be important for the Irins in the long haul...but in this first book we've met interesting characters I'd love to see having a story of their own and maybe they won't so, let's see what happens, but if they don't, what a pity.

As for the plot, I liked it, it has some fight scenes that I passed, it's not my thing, I prefer the dialogs, but mostly it had many clues about Ava and her role in all this and how the Irins numbers got so low and it's quite the interesting world the author created, I was very curious about all the new information about everything that developed throughout the story line.
The romance was god, even tough it started slow and developed fast, I liked the sexual tension between them and the doubts each one had but that were overcome by a certain special attraction and the knowledge what was happening to them was meant to be. I liked how we got that idea.

All in all, a great debut for me with this author, although I hated the end and hopefully it all gets sorted and solved in the next one.
The best thing were the details about the Irins and how they write things in their skin, from safety spells to love declarations...it was quite interesting.
I'll read the next book soon, probably this year still.
Grade: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment