Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Jennifer Ashley - Rules for a Proper Governess

Scottish barrister Sinclair McBride can face the most sinister criminals in London - but the widower’s two unruly children are a different matter. Little Caitlin and Andrew go through a governess a week, sending the ladies fleeing in tears.
Roberta “Bertie” Frasier enters Sinclair’s life by stealing his watch - and then stealing a kiss. Intrigued by the handsome highlander, Bertie winds up saving his children from a dangerous situation and returns them to their father. Impressed with how they listen to her, Sinclair asks the lively beauty to be their governess, never guessing that the unconventional lady will teach him a lesson or two in love.


Comment: This book arrived in the mail last Friday and I couldn't wait to read it as soon as possible. It's in one of those series I can't wait to get my mind on, because the author does such a great job in making the characters alive and fascinating and in creating a story that has so many special moments and situations I feel it's only a matter of time before I think it's exactly as it should.

This is Sinclair's story. He's one of Ainsley's brothers we've heard about since her book, the third in the series.
Sinclair is a widow and has two children to raise but they can't seem to behave properly so he employs governesses to help and teach them, but they never seem to last long.
One day Sinclair meets Bertie because he defended one of her friend's from being sent to prison over a crime she didn't commit.
Bertie is fascinated by Sinclair and who he is. By saving his children one day she gets to be their governess and even Sinclair is taken with her, something he hasn't felt since his beloved wife died...

I don't have much to say about the book except that I liked it a lot.
There's a certain mystery to solve which adds more to the story, well, this happens in all the books, there's always something to investigate, a sort of action development to move the plot along and not supported only by the romance, but in my opinion, all that could go away because the romance is the true beauty in these novels.

I love how the author picks two main characters, gives them personality, purpose and charisma and makes them alive on the page. I really cheered for this couple, like I did with all the others and I was immensely happy with their HEA.
The fact Sinclair is someone with means and with connections and a vision of life where things go well in terms of his profession and possibilities doesn't make him arrogant. He's confidant and still reachable.
Bertie comes form the poorer section of town, she knows what is to live with almost nothing and she is a pick pocket. But her heart id in the right place and she doesn't mind learning and charming others with her personality and god moods.

I liked the romance and how slowly it developed. I think it was both sweet and cathartic how Sinclair accepted Bertie and was as much of her rock as she was for him when the moments required so. Sure, their relationship wasn't perfect but the way the author inserted sexual tension and little details between them only made their actual romance much better and real.

I liked Bertie's relationship with the children. I think it worked out almost too well, but beggars can't be choosers. Bertie is special and despite the bad things sh saw and went through because of where she lives and how things are for those less fortunate, she still had a sunny disposition and everyone felt it when around her. I really think she's the best character in the book.

I also think there wasn't enough processing of things from the past. But I also admit it was clever of the author to do things the way she did, otherwise the story would go from romance to drama and that would ruin the overall impressions one might have. It's complicated to judge things like these based on what we feel should happen, but for story's development and HEA's purpose, I don't mind how everything went.
In the end, another great book and I can't wait to read more by the author.
Grade: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment