Sunday, November 9, 2014

Cora Carmack - Losing It

As far as Bliss Edwards can tell, she's the last virgin standing, certainly amongst her friends. And she's determined to deal with the 'problem' as quickly and simply as possible.
But her plan for a no-strings one night stand turns out to be anything but simple. Especially when she arrives for her first class and recognises her hot new British professor.
She'd left him naked in her bed just 8 hours earlier...


Comment: I got this book recently. I'm not that big a fan of the Teacher/Student romance but I was curious, after seeing the blurb, of how this would play out. The fact this is new adult - apparently, a new name for YA with a couple more years or so on them - put me off a bit because, again, it's hard to believe in the HEA when people seem so young for today's standards. Anyway...

This is Bliss' story. She is a 22 year old, finishing college, still a virgin. The night she decides to get it over with, she actually meets a guy she finds interesting and hot enough to want to be with him, after so many other guys who could have been the guy and weren't because she never felt ready.
Garrick is a young teacher who recently moved to Texas to work and one night, while trying not to be alone, he met Bliss, they started talking and got together. Amazingly, they live in close buildings but at the last moment, Bliss runs away. They don't meet again until the very next morning, when they see their connection isn't over yet.

Well, my opinion about this isn't that exciting. I liked the book for the most part, it was interesting to read about but it didn't rock my reading world, no. I guess overall, I can't say it was bad, it had the necessary elements to work but it didn't make me feel super interested in art or theater and much less in knowing more about the following stories.

Bliss is studying arts, majoring in theater for what I could tell. The plays conversations and references were fine actually. But the rest of the story was so unattractive in general terms that while it was readable and enjoyable for a while, it won't stay with me. Still, rather looking like an hypocrite, I still liked spending time with it...it's hard to label and grade.

The story felt really simple and it seemed to me it only went through the basics. Public target goals or just the way it was? I can't tell, but I had the feeling it had all the basic requirements in this type of book but never went past the expected.
The romance had its moments but it seems really weird no one made any comments about the main character's relationship and how unsuitable it was. The HEA happened after their professional relationship was over but still, I have my doubts about its credibility.
The secondary characters played their parts, quite apropos, but I never really connected to any of them, so I think it's another one of those things that seemed there just to put the type of story in evidence.

About Bliss' virginity. the thee interested me because I think the idea most young women have these days isn't that far from what Bliss thinks at the beginning, that virginity is a think to get over with as soon as possible. I can't speak for everyone, but in my opinion, people should just do what feels right when it feels right. If it doesn't, why should there be a rule virgins are out, or that they have some sort of problem? I wish the author could have used this theme to address the subject more seriously or in a way that would actually have meaning, instead of just using as a way to start the plot. In a way, I guess t could have added that extra something which could make this book more meaningful.

All things considered, this isn't my usual kind of book, but despite my personal preferences, I managed to entertain myself and as an almost chick lit this would definitely work out well too.
Good grade due to effort and some scenes. But just barely.
Grade: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment