Thursday, November 27, 2014

Lora Leigh - Rule Breaker

Lion Breed, Rule Breaker had just a few rules he didn't break. Not for anything. Not for anyone.
#1. Never have sex with a woman outside his own subspecies, especially a human woman.
#2. Never, at any time, accept a mission concerning a female when Jonas Wyatt stinks of a lie.
#3. Run don't walk, skip or stumble. Run, hell for leather away from any female, human or breed, when his desire for her appears, in any way, to have so much as a single sign of Mating Heat.
Now, the woman believes he's mated, is too helpless, to fun loving and too full of life to ever be able to protect herself, let alone aide him in protecting her.
If the damned animal inside him insisted on a mate, then why pick the woman it did? One that could be struck out at, at any time?
But, what he suspected was a mating, may not be. No swollen glands? No heat? Just his animal instincts rioting, pacing, irritated whenever he's away from her.
Okay, he could handle that.
What ensues is a fiery affair that breaks all the rules of mating heat and will eventually endanger his mate with the very rules designed to protect the breeds when Jonas learns she's possibly been working against them.


Comment: This book was released recently in paperback format and, being a fan of the series, I got it and wanted to dive in right away. This series, the Breeds, has caught my attention years ago and I still feel curious about the main plots even though the romances have became too predictable.

This is the story of another lion breed character, Rule Breaker. His Lawe's twin and one of Jonas main enforcers who will have a sort of promotion in this book. This character has always been mysterious because our glimpses of him have been short, so I was curious about his story and mate.
Gipsy survived years ago from an almost rape by the breed who killed her older brother. She has dedicated her life since then to catch the person who betray them. But she didn't count on Rule being her mate and the fact she fight it will have consequences.

Two things we can expect without any doubt in this series plot lines: lots of sex and heroines who think themselves above any lust and who give in way too fast.
While I skip the first for the most part - the scenes just don't mean much anymore considering how repetitive and general they are - I always have hopes the next book will show a heroine with a different mind state. Although I respect heroines who think they can battle the expect lust we see in relationships in these novels, I always end up disappointment when they give in too fast. I can understand why, all those hormones and stuff, but his makes the books look the same, in terms of main romance. And while I like there's a HEA and they end up on the same level and relationship pace, I still wrinkle my nose by how fast the women go from reluctant to sugary and the men from distant to everlasting dedication. I think a bit more human feelings might help instead of just lust ignition.

In this book, those things happen, as expected. Still, I think Rule played a game I wasn't thinking he would, plot wise, I mean. It offered quite the look into his character and it allowed some difference to show up, something I didn't see coming, which was refreshing.
Gypsy, his mate had a lot to overcome and she chose a path that, truthfully, I had some trouble following because if there is one thing abundant in these novels is the links and hidden meanings and sub plots. Gypsy saw herself in the middle of one and she never thought she would have much help but of course Rule was there to support her even if he acted the part of the breed-who-was-running-from-the-mating.

Gypsy and Rule's relationship starts with the usual cat and mouse games but eventually they get their game together. However, apart from the hormonal connection they can't run from, I don't think we saw enough of them as a couple, emotionally speaking. We read about it and we were told about it, but as always, I think there is a lack of scenes where we can see them be a couple outside the sex. I think it would add the emotional level I believe the author wants to portray but which I don't think is always obvious or successfully done.
Still, I was happy they had a HEA even if a bit fast at the end.

The plot...well, what can I say, we see developments which is amazing, and I do hope things will start to be solved. I know there are lots of characters to have a story but I think if the author would just solve the mysteries once and for all and would tell the remaining stories she wanted as just plain romances wouldn't be bad. Just my opinion, after all I want to know something conclusive happens at last.

We see many beloved characters in the story, lots of possibilities are hinted at and I liked that. The romance could be better but overall, I liked reading the story and I hope the next one can be more decisive and objective.
Grade: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment