Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Julie Anne Long - Since the Surrender

Fearless. Loyal. Brilliant. Ruthless. Bold words are always used to describe English war hero Captain Chase Eversea, but another word unfortunately plays a role in every Eversea's destiny: trouble. And trouble for Chase arrives in the form of a mysterious message summoning him to a London rendezvous . . . where he encounters the memory of his most wicked indiscretion in the flesh: Rosalind March—the only woman he could never forget.
Five years ago, the reckless, charming beauty craved the formidable Captain's attention. But now Rosalind is a coolly self-possessed woman, and desire is the last thing on her mind: her sister has mysteriously disappeared and she needs Chase's help to find her. But as their search through London's darkest corners re-ignites long-smoldering passion and memories of old battles, Chase and Rosalind are challenged to surrender: to the depths of a wicked desire, and to the possibility of love.
 


Comment: This is the third book of the Pennyroyal Green series by the author. I liked the previous two stories and the second one was my favorite historical of last year. I was busy collecting all the books to read in order and in following months and that is why it took me so long  since I've read books in this series. But I'm very eager to keep up the series.

This is Chase Eversea's story and how he is planning on going to India, to work there as he thinks there's nothing left in England for someone like him. But days before he leaves he gets a note asking his presence in a strange museum. He meets Rosalind, the wife of a former superior of his and someone he fell for years ago. Although nothing physical happened between them, the attraction and desire were there.
Rosalind only wants to find her sister and she fears something bad happened to her. Asking Chase's help is a last resort but she is trusting his character and loyalty will help her. The attraction is still there tough and this time Rosalind isn't married anymore...

I liked this story. Not as much as the one before, but it was interesting and easier to read than I expected. 
The thing is, I've read some things, not complete reviews, but comments here and there about this book and most of them weren't praising. The fact they knew each other before put me off a bit because I usually don't like this type of plots. Some readers talked about cheating, which isn't something I like either. But each reader's perception is different, we can all read the same thing and see different things. I don't think there is any cheating on this book, not as the main couple is concerned. Sure they felt attracted while she was married but apart from recognizing it, they never had sex or acted on their attraction to a point where I'd consider them cheaters. In fact, their moral conduit was quite high and unmovable. The explanation of this part of the novel was well done, I think.

The plot follows the main couple, while they wonder if they should follow their connection now that they're both free of the things that kept them apart in the past, looking for Rosalind's sister. She is missing from prison as are other young women, with no apparent explanation as to why that happened. 
The plot was quite fascinating, full of intriguing details and curious clues. There's a purpose to all this and it was disturbing, in my opinion, not for the reason why, but because of the weirdness of the how's. It took a lot of imagination to bring all the pieces together in a way that can be seen as believable. The workings of the whole thing I mean, not just the plot itself. I was quite surprised by it.

The romance was simple and full of secret meanings. I wasn't overjoyed with it, but it was good to spend time reading about. I think their best asset was their character and that was strong so...and the scenes with them, although sometimes unsuitable for the time they took place, were still hot and offered a glimpse of their feelings and for how long they waited.
I think the family connections are to be recommendable in this series and in this book that didn't show off as much. But it was there in the background, so not all is bad.

All in all, a good installment. I still have hopes for some titles but in general, what I wait is for good enjoyable books to make me feel the love between family members and their relationships. I think this is being accomplished.
Grade: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment