Thursday, January 1, 2015

Lisa Kleypas - Devil in Winter

Easily the shyest Wallflower, Evangeline Jenner stands to become the wealthiest, once her inheritance comes due. Because she must first escape the clutches of her unscrupulous relatives, Evie has approached the rake Viscount St. Vincent with a most outrageous proposition: marriage!
Sebastian's reputation is so dangerous that thirty seconds alone with him will ruin any maiden's good name. Still, this bewitching chit appeared, unchaperoned, on his doorstep to offer her hand. Certainly an aristocrat with a fine eye for beauty could do far worse.
But Evie's proposal comes with a condition: no lovemaking after their wedding night. She will never become just another of the dashing libertine's callously discarded broken hearts --- which means Sebastian will simply have to work harder at his seductions ... or perhaps surrender his own heart for the very first time in the name of true love.
 


Comment: Another of the last books of the previous year. I've had this on the pile because I've been reading the series and this was next. I was curious about it after so many opinions out there being positive.

This is Evangeline Jenner's story and how she proposes a rake showing she is much more than a simple wallflower. They agree to marry for dual purposes and to both win something out of it. But what was suppose to be just a means to an end soon turns into something much more important and meaningful that neither thought would happen.

I liked the story because it was, essentially, a romantic one. I think it was a good study on the classical troupe of opposites attract and love is redemption every time.
I understand how people saw the beauty in this story and how Sebastian's character was redeemable and brave in the face of the challenges he goes through in the story and how he changes to be the person others and especially Evie, depend on to live somehow. He proved he had a heart, and he deserved the HEA he got.
I was surprised by Evie, she seemed so shy in the previous books I thought she would remain so here, despite being the protagonist. In a way, this was what I felt wasn't up to my expectations because Evie's behavior didn't seem always what  shy person would act like, and I know she got to change too, because she was in love. But her character didn't convince me that much and it felt flat for me, based on what I expected after her scenes before.

This story, compared to the previous one, which I loved, seemed less vibrant. I know most readers don't agree but I liked Marcus and Lillian so much more. I think Sebastian and Evie went through the necessary motions and they had a good and romantic story but t didn't energize me like the other and it didn't feel as amazing or exciting.

I agree the story is good and belongs to that almost classic vibe of everlasting romances, but personally I thought it should have been much better. Not that it was bad, but my expectations were higher and some details didn't win me over.
Grade: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment