Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Julie Anne Long - What I Did for a Duke

For years, he's been an object of fear, fascination . . . and fantasy. But of all the wicked rumors that shadow the formidable Alexander Moncrieffe, Duke of Falconbridge, the ton knows one thing for certain: only fools dare cross him. And when Ian Eversea does just that, Moncrieffe knows the perfect revenge: he'll seduce Ian's innocent sister, Genevieve—the only Eversea as yet untouched by scandal. First he'll capture her heart . . . and then he'll break it.
But everything about Genevieve is unexpected: the passion simmering beneath her cool control, the sharp wit tempered by gentleness . . . And though Genevieve has heard the whispers about the duke's dark past, and knows she trifles with him at her peril, one incendiary kiss tempts her deeper into a world of extraordinary sensuality. Until Genevieve is faced with a fateful choice . . . is there anything she won't do for a duke?


Comment: This is the 5th book in the Pennyroyal Green series by Julie Anne Long. The second book is one of my favorite historical stories ever and I like the author's style a lot so I'm reading this series and hopefully another perfect book will come along.

This is the story of Genevieve Eversea, the youngest of the Eversea siblings. She's the one that hasn't got into any scandal nor has she been the talk of the ton.
After catching Ian Eversea in the wrong place with the wrong person, the duke of Falconbridge thinks of Genevieve as the perfect means to get his revenge.
While getting to know each other, the duke and Genevieve share thoughts, learn things and the duke teaches Genevieve some truths about herself. But in the end will she take what she's learned to be happy?

What I like the best about these books is the author's writing style in which we get to know some character's thoughts and ways of acting but not in a boring or annoying way. It seems the way she writes makes it all seem so easy and just perfect, especially when the characters are interacting and they think things to themselves and we, readers, are the only ones who see. It might sound usual but the way ms Long does it gives it another feel.

One of the little things that I really appreciated is when Genevieve says why some people think only themselves are clever, and honestly isn't that true, don't we often believe we are the only ones who see things the right angle, the right way, the right cleverness? Who knows how the other person's mind works! How interesting to see a character say it like it is.

I think this story was well thought and very interesting in the psychological development f the main couple. Both had pre-conceived ideas about the other one but they learned together what it meant to go from reluctant conversation partners to friends to lovers. The duke had and agenda but while he attempted to teach Genevieve a lesson, he was caught learning something too and the biggest thing to know is love gets you unaware and when you don't want it. Their romance was sweet and powerful and special.

Overall, I liked the story. But I still think the way Genevieve finally accepted reality seemed weaker than it should, after all she was talking to someone and that convinced her of her feelings to the duke but I don't think her thoughts or the explanation which we had about how she was clueless about it for so long were told the better way. I think it wasn't always obvious as I think it could have been.
The duke also seemed to go from "am I in love" to "love slave" too fast and the it felt like one step or two were missing from those two stations.

I liked how both the duke and Genevieve were together, both their conversation scenes and the intimate ones. I think their personalities seemed to be simple or should I say, goal oriented to a certain path but as the story developed we got to learn a lot about them, their pasts and the things that molded who they both are now. This is labeled May/December but the story is so engrossed, apart from the actual references to it, I never felt the age difference between them. I like how they look together, how they are together.

All in all, this is a great new installment. Still not perfect considering my own personal tastes and the fact I can't help but compare them all to my favorite 2nd book, but I really liked their romance story and they are still with me since I've finished which is always a good thing.
Grade: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment