Thursday, September 24, 2015

Teresa Medeiros - Yours Until Dawn

Gabriel Fairchild's valor during battle earns him the reputation of hero, but costs him both his sight and his hope for the future. Abandoned by the fiancée he adored, the man who once walked like a prince among London's elite secludes himself in his family's mansion, cursing his way through dark days and darker nights.
Prim nurse Samantha Wickersham arrives at Fairchild Park to find her new charge behaving more like a beast than a man. Determined to do her duty, she engages the arrogant earl in a battle of both wit and wills. Although he claims she doesn't possess an ounce of womanly softness, she can feel his heart racing at her slightest touch. As Samantha begins to let the light back into Gabriel's life and his heart, they both discover that some secrets -- and some pleasures -- are best explored in the dark ...

Comment: Here's one situation where trusting something not on an official site will induce oneself in mistakes otherwise might not be committed. I purchased this book months and months ago and then I realized, by checking Goodreads, that it was the third of a trilogy. I put off reading it until I managed to get the other two books, which also took time and then I decided to read the trilogy this summer and I scheduled Yours Until Dawn for September. I've read book and as each page was turned I got more and more suspicious because there isn't one single reference about the characters from the first two books! I mean, if this part of a trilogy shouldn't it happen, even if just a mention of their existence? I thought it was weird the characters last name in the first two books was Fairleigh and in this one Fairchild but I mean, it could have been coincidence... surely GR wasn't deceiving me.
I was thinking about posting my thoughts about this book, as I do with all the books I read and went to check the author's site because certainly there the trilogy would be acknowledged.
Yep, silly me not to have gone there before. It's not such a big deal I mistook this I know, but being led to believe the books were connected made me plan readings this way and it could have been different.
 
Anyway....
This is the story of Gabriel Fairchild, a man who went to war because his fiancée sort of told him to. He returns but is now blind and feels everyone has abandoned and doesn't want anyone's pity.
Samantha is a nurse that wants to help him and show him being blind isn't the end of his life and that he can be on his own for a time as long as he learns to use things around him. As they challenge each other with time, they also start to fall in love and Gabriel feels he's gotten his will to live again.
But when he thinks about proposing to Samantha, an unexpected surprise makes Samantha to run away and Gabriel starts looking for her. But there are secrets to uncover and those can change everything again...
 
As far as the book's content, I can't say I didn't like it because in the end I was quite happy with the way things happened. Actually, I've read this book in one day, it was that easy to go through.
My problem is with a situation that happened towards the end that, in my opinion, was badly done and sincerely, if one thinks about it, pointless.
I enjoyed the pace of the story, the slow but sure developments that led the main characters from a situation of employer/nurse to one of true love happening. I liked the interactions between them and the "rules" that existed and stopped them from acting too soon on their feelings.
 
There's a sort of mystery that happens because of Samantha's intentions and secrets but honestly it's obvious as soon as we start reading. Just not why exactly. I didn't find it a surprise to see where things led to not how tricky the situation was when it was time to come clean. I wouldn't say this is a case of miscommunication, only silliness and procrastination and not being assertive in the right moment.
 
So, until this point the main characters had developed feelings for each other, their relationship was intense, intimate, mutual, sweet, romantic, the story was almost solved and I thought it would be lovely indeed.
Then, Gabriel starts to have his sight back or seeing shapes although not seeing clearly yet and, while looking for Samantha after she left, he meets his ex fiancé again. They talk, he feels attracted to her and she learns he's thinking about going back to war. Then they get together while he's still in love with Samantha. At this point we know something that explains and justifies this but he doesn't. Still, he chooses to do it. Oh how many point he lost in my appreciation!
His ex isn't completely guilt free either and I thought this whole situation unnecessary and stupid and easily dismissed but the truth is that it happens and that ruined the end for me. I've seen reviews where other readers say the same.
 
So, a wonderful historical lost some of its charm and beauty because of something really silly. I still liked the HEA and the journey the main characters did to achieve happiness, I've liked some of the secondary characters too and the whole environment and way Samantha dealt with Gabriel prior to his recovery and it's a pity one small, pointless detail ruined what would surely would have been one almost perfect read.
Still, it's a good historical, easy to read and recommended.
Grade: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment