Wednesday, November 18, 2015

TBR Challenge: Julie Anne Long - The Legend of Lyon Redmond

Bound by centuries of bad blood, England's two most powerful families maintain a veneer of civility...until the heir to the staggering Redmond fortune disappears, reviving rumors of an ancient curse: a Redmond and an Eversea are destined to fall disastrously in love once per generation.
Rumor has it she broke Lyon Redmond's heart. But while many a man has since wooed the dazzling Olivia Eversea, none has ever won her—which is why jaws drop when she suddenly accepts a viscount's proposal. Now London waits with bated breath for the wedding of a decade . . . and wagers on the return of an heir.
It was instant and irresistible, forbidden . . . and unforgettable. And Lyon—now a driven, dangerous, infinitely devastating man—decides it's time for a reckoning. As the day of her wedding races toward them, Lyon and Olivia will decide whether their love is a curse destined to tear their families apart...or the stuff of which legends are made.


Comment: This is the last installment in the successful Pennyroyal Green series by author Julie Anne Long. After ten books wondering what had happened to Lyon Redmond and whether he would find his HEA with Olivia Eversea, finally their story was told and we could find out if they belong together or not.
I picked this one for the Hype theme of November because I'm sure many readers were more than eager to read this book. I was actually eagerly awaiting its release.
 
This book features the ultimate mystery of the series, did Lyon Redmond really disappeared because Olivia, the woman he loved, broke his heart? Olivia and Lyon are the oldest of both their parents and their families have had this feud of common hate between them and it's told a couple would fall in love in each generation but never be happy. In this series we've been trying to see if the same would happen to these two and it appeared so when Olivia finally accepted to marry someone else. But is their story at its end? Can Lyon and Olivia talk and settle their issues? Is there a happy future for them?
 
Although the author didn't make this the key point of all the books, I have to say it was quite ingenious of her to insert little scenes or little details here and there through the past 10 books in a way that we wouldn't forget about Olivia and Lyon. Sure, in one or two books that subject was more prominent than in the majority of them, but it was never a focus point. Still, at the back of our minds, it was there. I think it was quite clever, subtle, but a well placed strategy to make the mystery be something we would look forward to know more about.
 
We arrive at this book with many HEAs behind, many characters already happy and with amazing lives and loves, but the couple never forgotten could finally have their story.
Olivia has been described as someone difficult to approach, she now has a fiancé because she gave up on waiting. At least it looked so. Clever author making a path clear for her to do so.
Lyon seemed a ghost, rarely were his appearances, but did he really stay away from what was happening? Does he have a plan we didn't know about?
 
In general, I liked this story but I have two issues with this book.
The first thing was the type of plot. Of course this is a lovers reunited. One of the plots I hate the most. I confess some of the scenes of how things used to be between them bored me, even if I recognize how important they are so we can really know what happened. But I wanted more of them now, and not as much of what was. I'm glad we got that too and, of course, the scenes from the past are a handy bridge not only to understand things but to make it look like not too much time has passed. But personally, I can't get away from the fact I had to read about the before knowing something would go wrong. This is an historical so there is a lot of intimacy and elements they didn't share which made this look better for me. But as a whole it's still annoying, even if necessary for their romance.
The second thing I got annoyed at was the epilogue. I appreciate the idea of knowing what happened in the future but not like this! I mean, why? I would have preferred a thousand times more a regular epilogue with all of them maybe 10 years into the future and seeing them well, with their families. That would have warmed up my heart and my romantic side! Not the epilogue we had which is cute but not what I wanted, no.
 
Someone mentioned on GR this was the book the author should write. In a way I agree because we do see Lyon and Olivia together, dealing with things, in a stage in their lives where, maybe, they did gain from a separation, from a time where they weren't ready to acknowledge their feelings. It hurt but now they can try. But Olivia is engaged, who will she choose? We have a pretty good idea obviously, but I liked how there's this side of uncertainty until the end. Still, not all is bad if one pays attention to details. The author is wonderful with those, I admit it.
 
The characters are a huge part of things. Lyon was adventurous and mysterious but I liked seeing his softer, more family man side. I like the lesson he's supposed to teach but I feel sad at the same time he had to be away to become the person he had to. I'm glad he found happiness.
Olivia we've saw more of through the books, I confess there was a point where I thought she wasn't who she should but...everyone has weaker moments, doubt moments. We learn and we live with our decisions, so...
The solution of some situations was intriguing because of character's personalities. That affected some things and the "hows" of it. There's a certain bittersweet feel to some aspects because people aren't all the same, because we make choices, we follow some things and not others. I think it's amazing how the author makes her point with seemingly easy and hidden details. She does write beautifully.
 
In the end, this was the perfect end for the series. I liked knowing about the characters and their obstacles towards happiness. I cried here and there over some things. I really thought this was on the way to be close to perfect (except for the lovers reunited elements) but then the epilogue brought this down. Still, a well thought and structured series, wonderfully written by the author and presented in a way where a fan can read and re-read without thinking this would end in disgrace. I liked it and will cherish the good parts forever, that I will.
Grade: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment