Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn - The Gulag Archipelago

Drawing on his own incarceration and exile, as well as on evidence from more than 200 fellow prisoners and Soviet archives, Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn reveals the entire apparatus of Soviet repression -- the state within the state that ruled all-powerfully.Through truly Shakespearean portraits of its victims -- men, women, and children -- we encounter secret police operations, labor camps and prisons; the uprooting or extermination of whole populations, the welcome that awaited Russian soldiers who had been German prisoners of war. Yet we also witness the astounding moral courage of the incorruptible, who, defenseless, endured great brutality and degradation. The Gulag Archipelago 1918-1956 -- a grisly indictment of a regime, fashioned here into a veritable literary miracle.

Comment:  I borrowed this book in Portuguese from the same person that has lent me so many others in the past. It wasn't a choice I made, once again, it was something the person thought I'd appreciate and gave it to me to read. I truly appreciate her gesture and her thoughts and belief in my literary taste and willingness to increase my fictional reads but sometimes the titles she picks aren't things I'd choose for myself or that would be the most interesting. I prefer to read for entertainment and serious fiction reads aside, to see how a plot would engage me. Nevertheless, I feel thankful someone lends me her books, as I know it's not always an easy decision to trust our beloved books to someone else.

This book was written by a Nobel prize winner, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

No comments:

Post a Comment