Thursday, February 2, 2017

Mini Comments

Ok, I confess... I'm feeling lazy and I don't have much to say about these books, so I'll simply write a few lines about each one in my mini comments version of a review, so to speak. 
Both these books have in common the fact they're contemporaries and are installments that belong to series I've started or read previously. More attempts to get books out of the pile... 

* *

When Lilah Jane Tunkle fled her dull life in Virginia for the bright lights of New York City, she didn’t expect to wind up a nanny to a gorgeous celebrity chef’s ten-year-old son. Working for the delectable Devon Sparks is a sure-fire recipe for disaster, especially after Lilah gets a tantalizing taste of his perfectly seasoned kisses . . .
Devon’s not sure he can handle one more surprise ingredient in his life—he left his popular TV show, his culinary reputation is on the line, and now the son he barely knows is back for seconds. Lilah’s Southern sass is supposed to keep the boy in line, but soon enough she’s teaching Devon a thing or two about homespun food . . . and turning up the heat.


Comment: This book is the second installment in a trilogy by author Louisa Edwards. I had read the first one in 2015 and now I finally got to this one. This is the story of chef Devon Sparks that we briefly met in the first book, and heroin Lilah Jane. They met by chance at a bar near The Market, where both are going to work, but neither knows it before they sleep together. When they realize that, things start a bit awkward but they sort of get along but then, when Devon's 10 year old son shows up, it's chaos.
I was very interested in this book due to its premise, they would bond over food and Devon's son but in reality the romance wasn't that amazing, at least not as special as I imagined. Lilah was a sweet heroine but too cartoonish at times and too focused on sex thoughts and scenes with Devon in others. I just didn't find the balance in their relationship, especially if he is the type of hero who needs redemption and reconnect with his family.
The best part was the secondary tidbits about Frankie and Jesse and some mystery with Grant and Chris. I'm definitely going to read the third book one day just to get closure on these character's fates. As for this story, I wasn't just captivated enough, not like I felt with the first book when I had less expectations.
Grade: 6/10

 *   *   *

A smoking-hot prequel to Jennifer Bernard's fabulous Bachelor Firemen series. If you love the novels
of Rachel Gibson and Bella Andre, then this is for you!
Kirk, a.k.a. Thor, one of San Gabriel's infamous Bachelor Firemen, certainly lives up to his nickname. He's tall and handsome, with a chiseled body worthy of any Viking god. But he'd give it all up for one glance from her.
Sweet, shy Maribel has no idea that Kirk's been pining for her. There's nothing he'd like better than to sweep her off her feet and show her just how exquisite their love could be. But Kirk has a secret, and he won't let anyone get close, least of all the sexiest woman he's ever met.
Can a feisty little dog and an even feistier little boy help these star-crossed lovers find the passion they both so richly deserve?


Comment: This story is actually the prequel novella in the Firemen of San Gabriel series by author Jennifer Bernard, whose 3rd book I've read back in 2014. I was so interested in that book I overlooked it was the 3rd in the series but I got interested enough to try the others. Then I decided to go with the right order and this was first. 
I liked it, it's a sweet story of longing and distanced looks that make protagonists Kirk and Maribel feel close to each other but shy in the others' presence. Things change when Kirk finally decides to move and the plot goes from there. This is a novella, so things happen quickly although we have the notion time allowed them to sort of have feelings for each other before the action starts.
It was ok, not as well developed as the full length book but it had interesting elements. I was probably just put off by how they went from longing to crazy in lust and then love. It could have used some more romance in a way.
I will try to read the other books in the future.
Grade: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment