Thursday, April 27, 2017

JD Tyler - Hunter's Heart

Ryon Hunter sees dead people—spirits that beg him for help in ways he can’t understand. He’d do anything to end the torment, until a beautiful spirit appears to him with a plea he can’t ignore: Help me…I’m alive. The woman is wildlife biologist Daria Bradford, mortally wounded after encountering a white wolf, calling to Ryon through a rare Psy gift.
When Ryon locates Daria in the Shoshone National Park, it is almost too late, but nursing her back to health at the Alpha Pack compound brings a new complication—Daria is his destined mate, and Ryon is afraid of what will happen when she discovers what he is, and what he had to do to save her life. But the biggest threat of all is still loose in the forest, leaving a merciless trail of death behind it. The Alpha Pack goes on the hunt for the mysterious white wolf, determined to stop the murderous rogue… only to find that the most lethal creature of all is the one they can’t see coming…


Comment: This is the fourth installment in the Alpha Pack series by author JD Tyler. I've been going through this series for some time, always looking for the one that screams "perfection". So far, I haven't found it but just the reading itself is interesting and I can still spend some entertaining time with them.

In this installment we have Ryon's story. Ryon is the element of the pack who can see ghosts ad this story begins because he sees the ghost of a woman asking for help. In fact, it's not really her ghost, simply a projection (the woman's sort of power) asking him for help because her body is in danger and she could die.
The team helps the woman, brings her to the compound and realize she is his mate and only he can save her. But the woman, Daria, also brings a connection which can unlock some secrets the pack wasn't aware existed...

In the last book, the team has defeated (some helped more than others) the big villain so I wondered which approach the author would have here as antagonism. Well, the big bad villain is dead but some minions still are out there so in a way this was how the plot managed to progress, even including meeting new characters and even species.
I'm quite interested in seeing what will happen with the new ideas which came forth in this installment and I hope the author uses them wisely.

The plot isn't too complicated because it revolves a lot around the main couple. I'm always eager to see glimpses of other characters, see what they are doing and I must say there's this amazing scene with Phoenix...I can't wait for his story.
In terms of overall plot, this fighting against traitors in the government or something....I can see why something like this has to exist, otherwise which substance could this series have but... I also could easily picture a situation where I could know they were fighting bad guys without details, I wouldn't mind a series even more focused on the human aspect and interactions between characters instead of fighting scenes and battles and stuff, which, to me, aren't as interesting...

My favorite part is to see how the guys deal with each other, how they help one another...and then the romance. I think Ryon and Daria's relationship had everything to be developed well but... why authors need to add the "insta-love" device to PNR stories I don't know... yes they are mates, yes they know, or one of them knows, do they need to have sex immediately? Where's the emotional connection? How can it be presented in a believable manner? I think these stories would gain hugely from a more developed romance, with more details and time for the couple to know one another well before going from sex, some angst and into love. It just feels too easy and lacking the emotional structure I love in situations like this.

All things considered, this was entertaining as I expected, we did learn new things, I still want to see what happens but it feels  bit demeaning that I can envision some changes so easily which, in my opinion, could improve this "world" a lot. Maybe the next story has a more balanced relationship...
Grade: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment