Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Read once and read often

Two books to briefly talk about this time around.
The first is a book I've read for the first time days ago and the other is one of those so called comfort reads I often re-read, or I try to re-read my favorite parts.

The Spanish House is known to locals as an architectural folly, and it is now nearly derelict to boot. When its reclusive owner dies intestate the Spanish House is left to his city-dwelling niece. For the recently-widowed Isabel, the house is a potential lifeline. For her neighbour Matt McCarthy, the house is revenge.

Comment: I liked this book but that's it. I can't say I'll remember it very fondly in the future because, to be honest, the characters didn't win me over. I think I can consider myself a fan of the author, I've liked all her books to some extend but I've come to realize the more contemporary work of Jojo Moyes appeal the most to me, unlike her older titles which seem (the three I've tried) more cynical and whose characters feel less interesting.
In this book we have Isabel as a key character and although I enjoyed seeing she goes from an almost self centered person to a more attentive and responsible one, the plot about an old house and the sleazy male character that wants it at any cost just didn't win me over. I disliked some of the character's behavior as well so it was difficult for me to empathize or to want to see them succeed. I was glad when the last page was turned.
Grade: 5/10

-//-

It wasn't the best time for Karen to visit her elderly friend. With a burning fever and a broken down
car, she shuddered to think what could have happened if Brice hadn't pulled her from the drifts. As a doctor, his healing instincts took over. But being snowbound with the man who once tried to have her jailed was dangerous territory. Sometimes fate offers the chance to heal, forgive, and understand that things happen for a reason.

Comment: I can't remember anymore when was the first time I've read this book. Somewhere along 2006 or 2007, meaning after I've learned to do online shopping and after my binging on Nora Roberts and Sandra Brown. Then I got to Barbara Delinsky but I can say her more recent work isn't as appealing to me.
This book is the definition of perfection to my romance reader's eyes. Yes, many others don't agree but it's amazing for me because the plot makes sense and the romance too. I can see the flaws too but they are almost pointless to me.
I loved this story of a young woman trying to make ends' meet and a man who helps her without second intentions but while he takes care of her health, they discuss their previous antagonism and they fall in love. Yes, I'd change one detail here, another there but overall this is the perfect comfort read and I read this often just because.  Love it!
Grade: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment