Tuesday, March 26, 2019

A book; a suggestion

Those of you who visit here (thank you, by the way) probably have realized English is not my mother language. 
- I apologize in advance for all the grammar mistakes I've made and probably will make, even with check spelling...-
Sometimes I read books in my own language, Portuguese, especially those written by Portuguese authors of course. 

I've recently read one of such books, written by an author who happens to be a psychiatrist and doctor in one of our hospitals. He has made his career working mostly with teenagers and their parents and families.
I already read a few of his books because he often presents some clinical facts as if he is telling a story and that can certainly be easier for readers to follow/be interested in.
The last book I've read by him is about the relationship between a mother and her son, who happens to be gay. The book is written in a poetic discourse, with all the emotions and feelings each "character" has and thinks while dealing with the fact the son is gay but can't avoid confusion and fear because society condemns him and who he is.
I thought this book was well done in the sense that it gave a voice to all those mothers who don't want their children to be "different" but who love them anyway. And a voice to the sons who know they are different but still try to ignore it or to fight it and are even worse because of that.
When the story begins the reader already knows the son has died in a car crash so this story is like the letter a mother would give her son with all her angst and sorrow. I really think the author did a good job portraying this situation - based on one of his real life clinical cases - and what could have possibly been in both mother and sons' heads while such complicated days went by.
This is not a perfect story because the poetic writing can be difficult to grasp or the meanings to absorb. I think what made me think the most was the fact people don't have the answers when it's about themselves. I could say the son being gay doesn't matter but for that family it was something to consider and the son's doubts and confusion were never really solved, were they? Still, this was an emotional story and I think it conveyed the message relatively well, in a poignant way.
Grade: 7/10

-//-

Here is the link to an interesting site: https://www.whichbook.net/
It is supposed to help you find a new book to read, based on your preferences.
It's interesting, alright, to test the possibilities and more so if you are the type of reader who likes to try new things or see where chance takes you.
Personally, I have a TBR too big to let my picks be random but it can be a funny exercise to do sometimes. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment