Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Viola Grace - Three Parts Fey

With her binding to her partners, Benny feels safe and settled. She wants to start her career in the XIA and make a place in that organization. The past rears up and has other ideas.
The binding has its own issues. Their group has to meet and greet each family they are attached to and try to gain approval for their union. A different technique is required for each species, and they have to be ready for anything.
True love might win the day, but politics is a pain in the butt.


Comment: Finally I got to pick the third story in this An Obscure Magic main trilogy (there is another one following this one, in the same general series). I liked the first two parts of the story, even though they aren't great. I was just positively surprised because my expectations were low. That must be why I didn't enjoy this one as much; I was already used to a certain level and this story felt very disappointing.

In this third installment, Benny and her partners are settling in to their relationship as well as being partners in investigation for the agency they work for. There are still some loose points from things that happened in the previous books but nothing very dramatic happens in this book.

I confess I don't have much to say about this book. I did expect something a little better because the other books were good enough.
The plot of this book centers mostly around the fat Benny and her partners are in full commitment and they need to acknowledge it to their elders, since each one comes from a different race/family line.
I thought this story would definitely be more insistent on the personal relationship between the four elements but as it went with the other books, everything is too superficially designed.

This is probably the element I'd develop more: the action, the characters, the main ideas are all very simple and offer no complexity whatsoever, as if the biggest issue to be thinking of in here is the details of the world but not even those paranormal elements are well developed.
Finishing this book didn't enlighten me regarding why these people are like this, what motivates them, we see them getting along in their poly amorous relationship but nothing too complex in their personalities nor in their lives.

Since the blurb mentions the members' families, I expected more development of this, how the families are organized, if they mesh well... but apart from the fact we get to see how amazing Benny always is, nothing besides the basics happens.
It does feel like a disappointment nothing special happens, even bearing in mind this is a shot story...

Considering nothing besides the obvious happens, I don't have a lot so say about this book. Unlike the others who had interesting situations on going to grab my attention, this was poorer in comparison and I feel didn't add anything to the obvious which was already a given.
Grade: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment