Saturday, January 4, 2020

2019 Statistics and Favorite Books

As many readers out there, I've summarized my reading year in some numbers too, and I have a best of as well.
I'm copying some structure I've used in previous' years statistics posts but I have to say my top 5 favorite books really was only five in 2019. I've read many good stories but I only gave a higher mark or grade to the five I'll mention.
I hope your year provided many excellent reads, more than mine! It's interesting, so many books were "almost there" but I've become picky or things just don't dazzle me as much anymore...who knows...

Statistics!
 
In 2019 I've read 213 books, more in October (21 books) and less in November (15 books). This means an average of 17.75 books/month.
All these books mean 65787 pages, an average of 308,85 per book. Curiously, I've read more pages in October and less in May.

Of all the books read, 122 were by known authors to me and 91 by new authors.

The first book of the year was Queen Margot by Dumas, in the middle was Freud's Sister by Goce Simlevsky and the last one was Into the Dark by Karen Rose.

Of all the books I read, I loved 5, liked 111, thought 79 were so-so, I didn't enjoy much of 16 and 2 were DNF's. The DNF status is something I only stated to "grade" this year... the TBR size really is prohibitive if I want to read every excruciating book.

The genres I read are distributed the following way: Contemporary (56), Historical (49), Fiction(38), PNR (23), M/M (27), Fantasy/Sci-Fi (11), and thrillers (8) and 1 YA.

I've purchased 68 books, spending around 601€. An average of 50€/month more or less.
I spent more in November and less in January, May and December because I didn't buy books in those months.
I bought less books and spent less than in 2018 but the prices overall are higher which means the savings are not that considerable. I was able to get some free books as well, which helps but, of course, I like to choose what I want and not be just dependent on what is in free offers.

My TBR says around 560 on Goodreads but there are books I have not added so the number is realistically higher than that. I know, it's huge and I can't keep up...and it will likely be too difficult to solve this issue as I keep adding more books...

Books Read!

->I gave 5 stars to 5 books but mostly because they meant something for me at the moment. I probably would change my opinion were I to read them with a different mood. They aren't all well liked by the majority of readers who tried them but, for me, they really worked. 
 
I should repeat that most of the books I've read were not published in 2019. I'm a "collector" so I rarely have time to dedicate myself that much to new releases. Besides, after a few months or years, the price usually can be found cheaper...

As mentioned, I've classified two books as DNF because they just were not being enjoyable for me. Things work in completely different ways to everyone, so those books are liked by many but really, time passes by, people do not get any younger....

Favorites in no order 
Sapphire Flames by Ilona Andrews
The Understatement of the Year by Sarina Bowen
Red, White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuinston
From Lukov with Love by Mariana Zapata
Ravensong by TJ Klune

Favorite M/M books (no order)
Red, White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuinston
Ravensong by TJ Klune
The Understatement of the Year by Sarina Bowen

Less liked books, DNF'd
Unclean Spirits by ML Hanover
American Pastoral by Philip Roth

Best in general: 
Red, White and Royal Blue because it was engaging and just so easy to want to read too.

Worst in general:
The two I've mentioned. I didn't find the writing in either appealing, the plots had potential but to be honest, I just didn't care enough.

đź’§Globally, I've noticed I'm not as easily pleased even if the book has a lot of positive aspects that work almost to perfection for me. But it's always difficult to offer all the necessary elements to always work for each individual reader. Still, the challenge continues!
 
Happy reading everyone, and once more, until this year's statistics!

No comments:

Post a Comment