Friday, April 3, 2020

Lewis Carroll - Through the Looking Glass

As Alice steps through the looking glass she enters a world of magical creatures and impossible logic where nursery rhymes and chess pieces come alive, meeting Humpty Dumpty, Tweedledum and Tweedledee and the White Knight, among others. She learns about running fast enough to stay in the same place, why there is never jam today and about the importance of believing six impossible after breakfast. In fact, as she sets out on her quest to become a Queen of the Chess Board, it is not surprising that Alice becomes confused as to who is dreaming at all.

Comment: I had this book to read for several years. I think most children - and adults - would have heard of Alice in Wonderland so when I saw this book was the continuation of that other book, I was sold. Of course, though, years have passed before I actually decided to go for it. It was now...

This is the follow-up to the story Alice in Wonderland. However, this is not another adventure of Alice there, this a different adventure in a different place but once more we are able to see amazing things Alice is going through.
Will Alice come out of this new story with as many lessons learned as last time?

I'll be honest in this very short comment. I liked the previous book a log time ago but I'd say the whole hype surrounding it also helped to be connected with the story and to appreciate it.
This second one not being as well known as the first story, though, means I felt a little more difficulty to get into it. I also think the english version didn't help me, the language is easy to understand, yes, as being it appropriate for children, but at the same time it didn't make it easier for me to like it.

Alice goes through a mirror and has interesting adventures on the other side. There's a twist at the end but I felt very indifferent to it and it wasn't as impressive as it might have been. 
I think this is one of those cases where the movie adaptations can grab the reader's attention more easily than the writing story, after all, this is all so imaginative and spectacular, the visual does help bring some things to life.
I missed that here: I imagined things but there were so many details, so many little things that I struggled to follow what was happening.

This is a very short story so it didn't take too long to read but to be fair, it was not a very enjoyable read and it felt it took twice as long to read. I'd say I endured reading more than I did enjoy.
I can also recognize this is a very well thought world by the author. However, I don't think this was as interesting nor captivating as the other story (or even stories for children by other authors).
To finish this, since I don't really have much to say, I think the magic was lost for me when it came to Alice's adventures. 
Grade: 3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment