Wednesday, January 6, 2021

2020 Statistics and Favorites

Another year ended, this one a lot harsher for everyone for all the known reasons.

Still, like I said before in other posts, reading is a comfort for me, an escapism, I just can't see myself giving up on reading. I think I could compartmentalize my reading and my worries about reality and that is why I even increased my number of books read.

As in previous years, here are some numbers of 2020:

Statistics!
 
-> In 2020 I've read 225 books, more in July (22 books) and less in February (16 books). This means an average of 18.75 books/month.
All these books mean 70341 pages, an average of 312.6 per book. Curiously, I've read more pages in April (7417) and less in August (4958).

Of all the books read, 113 were by known authors to me and 112 by new authors, which puts my reading year quite balanced in this regard.

The first book of the year was Mrs McGinty's Dead by Agatha Chistie, in the middle was The Murder of Harriet Monckton by Elizabeth Haynes and the last one was The Devil's Library by Tom Pugh.

Of all the books I read, I loved 7, liked 93, thought 98 were so-so, I didn't enjoy much of 24 and 3 were totally bad for me, so I DNF'd them.
The genre I read the most was Contemporary (59), Fiction (39),  Historial (33), PNR (27), M/M (36), Fantasy/Sci-Fi (10), thrillers (9) and some non-fiction (7), while the least read genre by me was classics (5).

I've purchased 81 books, spending around 575,66€. An average of 48€/month and 6,75 books month. I spent more in June and less in February.

My TBR says around 526 on Goodreads but some of them I don't actually have yet and I have some I didn't add to the shelves. Should I confess I like having a big TBR? I think most readers are actually proud of that lol

Books Read!

->I gave 5 stars to seven books but mostly because they meant something for me at the moment. I probably would change my opinion were I to read them with a different mood. They aren't all well liked by the majority of readers who tried them but, for me, they really worked. 

Another interesting note: most of the books I've read were not published in 2020. I'm a "collector" so I rarely have time to dedicate myself that much to new releases. Besides, after a few months or years, the price usually can be found cheaper...
 
I did give 1 star to three books gave 2 stars to twenty four books which means I might have picked less than good books but also that my patience is no longer what used to be.

Favorites in order (at this time)
The Murder of Harriet Monckton by Elizabeth Haynes
The Spare by Miranda Dubner
Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase
The Dress by Jane L. Rosen
Heated Rivalry by Rachel Reid
The Liar by Nora Roberts
The Last Hellion by Loretta Chase
 
Favorite M/M books (no order)
The Spare by Miranda Dubner
Heated Rivalry by Rachel Reid
Brothesong by TJ Klune

DNFs
The Fifth Season by NK Jemisin
The Group by Mary McCarthy
Manual dos Inquisidores by Manuel Lobo Antunes


Best in general: 
The Murder of Harriet Monckton because the story is compelling, the research the author did remarkable and I was always eager to turn the pages and see what would happen next. Or, should I say, how things would happen, since the mystery is a little obvious from a certain point on, but reading this was so engaging!

Worst in general:

All the DNFs were. I just didn't enjoy reading the amount I did of those books and I skimmed a lot to reach the last page... none felt like a story I could connect to well enough to enjoy.

 

đź’›I think I'm a bit more picky as time goes by but I have also been trying to get to books which have been in the pile for long and since we all change, that could account for less than good experiences with my current eyes/tastes. I surely hope 2021 will mean more addictive stories!

Happy reading everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment