Friday, October 15, 2021

Helena Hunting - Meet Cute

Kailyn Flowers was always calm and controlled - until she ended up sprawled all over Daxton Hughes, the former actor she totally crushed on as a teenager. In seconds, she became a mortifying fangirl and oddly enough, he didn't run away. Instead, their meet cute led to something she never expected: a friendship. Of course, she never expected him to betray her, either.
Eight years later, Dax needs Kailyn's help. Years of anger towards him haven't exactly left Kailyn inclined to oblige, but she also isn't heartless enough to turn him down. She vows to be friendly, but soon their 'friendly' meetings turn into flirty dinner dates, and Kailyn can feel their chemistry is as explosive as ever. But how can she possibly let down her guard again to a guy who has heartbreak written all over him?

Comment: This is the first book by this author I try. I have seen several positive comments on several books by the author and finally decided to read one. I picked this title because the blurb seemed intriguing enough and I'm glad it turned out to be a good one for me.

In this novel we meet law students Dex and Kaylin and their meet cute at college is awkward for Dex is a previous child/teenage actor who still gets recognized a lot and Kaylin is definitely a fan. Things happen in a weird way but as the studying years go by, they become sort of friends and great opponents at debate class until an action by Dex leaves Kaylin at a disadvantage. Then, years later, after tragedy affects Dex and his younger sister, Kaylin will be the lawyer helping them but can she keep her personal feelings apart from her professional duties? Or will that old chemistry become too big to avoid now they are older and more mature adults?

I think I got an idea of how this author plans and delivers her stories. The writing style is simple, fluid and without a lot of tricks so I could appreciate the story for what it was: a quiet romance while the characters deal with issues.

The plot is pretty basic and, if I'm being honest, a little too predictable as well. I could guess practically almost all steps and reasons for some characters behaved a certain way. I might not have known exactly which steps would happen first, but everything in this story was obvious for a reader who might have have many romance novels already. Obviously, then, what makes this special isn't the overall plot, but actually the characters' interactions and the little details.

There were some emotionally enough scenes in this book. I admit to have cried once or twice but this isn't one of those heavy dramas. I think the author knew how to dose what was being described in a way that made it easy for me to sympathize but still able to see what was the goal, and that is why I say this is easy and fluid. I also liked that, despite the main characters have met in college, this book doesn't have flashbacks, only mention of things to explain some scenes.

Kaylin is a cute character, a professional and I liked her as a romance heroine. She does fall into cliché traps close to the end but I wasn't too bothered by this. I liked she was adopted and how having had a good couple as parents shaped her personality and decisions but I'd have liked more on her past and what kind of experiences she had. I think this could have been extra special, considering her work as lawyer in this plot.

Dex is fascinating because is immediately seen as handsome and well liked, also for his past as an actor and that means he feels quick rapport with how he acts in court. I'd say his personality is likable but he did feel a bit too easily constructed, the details the author included about him seemed too easily chosen and I don't think his background was as interesting as Kaylin's but he did follow all the usual steps a hero does when going towards an HEA so...

The romance was cautious, after all they have the same profession and know the risks and although there were several scenes where I liked them together, this also felt a little too staged. I kind of wanted more chemistry as the author kept writing they shared. It felt as if they did everything right but not always as with much emotion as I would have wanted. I mean, they are a good couple and respect each other too, which is great, but I wanted more emotions as they fell in love.

The epilogue is cute but it could have been sweeter. Some author drop all the sugar at this moment but mrs Hunting certainly didn't and I feel we were given facts but, again, not enough emotion... I think the author could have managed a balanced amount of facts and charming descriptions if she wanted.
Grade: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment