Saturday, March 12, 2022

Kele Moon - Defying the Odds

When struggling waitress Melody Dylan gives a handsome, lonely stranger a simple gift she has no clue her life is about to take a drastic turn.
The stranger ends up being Clay Powers, a famous UFC heavyweight fighter. Clay’s large build and dangerous fists have always intimidated. People in his hometown keep their distance and Clay is fine with that. Everything changes when a new waitress at the local diner buys him a piece of pie on thanksgiving. Touched by the gesture when it’s obvious she can barely afford to survive, her warm smile and lush body churn up powerful feelings that leave Clay wanting more from her than pie.
Melody is running from her past and the small, country town of Garnet is the perfect hiding place. With an ex-husband after her and scars from her abusive marriage etched deep, the last thing she expects is to fall for a man who makes a living with his fists, but she can’t resist Clay or the tender connection they share.
Finding love in the most unlikely of places, the passion is undeniable, but Clay and Melody know their haunted pasts and unpredictable futures leave the odds stacked against them.

Comment: This will be just a simple post to register this book on my reading diary. I didn't finish reading this one although it had been in the pile since 2015.

I initially thought it would be a good choice for the TBR challenge because the hero sounded as if he was grumpy (which is the theme) but it turned out I wasn't too keen on this one. I can't even say why exactly, apart from the usual reason that the story didn't interest me. However, to be fair, I sometimes finish things that also don't feel that interesting either...so why not this one? Well, I truly didn't feel any emotional investment nor enough curiosity to keep going. Sometimes I might not really like something but there might be some detail which propels me to want to know what happens next but.. not this time.

Since this is a romance, I know it ends in a HEA but while I usually like books about opposites attract and heroines trying to make ends' meet, these elements weren't done in a way that I found captivating. The dynamics between them, considering what we are told about their difficult romantic pasts, were not convincing during the time I read, which was until more or less half way.

Another issue I also didn't like - it was just so distracting to me - was the writing style, too simple, and the fact the author wanted the reader to know the characters lived in a southern part of the US. I admit it was hard to process that in my head, since the words were written as if someone from that region was talking. This wouldn't have been a deterrent for me if the story was something I was invested in, but because it wasn't, it was just one more element I found to be picky about. 

Thinking about this and the fact there's lots to be read yet, I decided to not finish.
Grade: DNF

No comments:

Post a Comment