Thursday, September 19, 2024

Neve Wilder - Want Me

Nate:
Living with four other guys, it's bound to happen.
Every guy's been caught taking care of business at least once, right?
It shouldn't be a big deal.
But I don't know Eric as well as my other roommates, and things are a little awkward now.
He's a loner. A mystery. Quietly confident. Smart.
Sexy as hell.
I've been happily subsisting on the typical frat guy diet of booze and sorority girls.
But the way Eric looked at me that night?
There was something there.
Something that's got me curious.
Something that's stirring up feelings I thought I'd left behind for good.
Something that's making me think I'm not as straight as I thought I was.
I can't get him off of my mind.
I don't think I want to.
So when he offers to help me study for a midterm, I take him up on it.
It's innocent.
Probably. Maybe.
There's no way I could've known what it'd start...

Comment: I have no idea why this was in my TBR. I probably added it because it was supposedly similar to other books I had read before featuring m/m romance and college students...

Nate is a student sharing a house with four other guys and he has noticed Eric is not as extroverted as the others, or at least he has not been able to know him better since he went to live there. Things change after Eric catches Nate in what should be a private moment and although Nate tried to pretend nothing happened, Eric is obviously around and one day they do talk about it. One thing leads to the other and they become lovers but what perhaps should have been an easy thing, soon becomes mind consuming for both of them. Their personalities are certainly different, is there any chance they can be a real couple?

I did enjoy reading college stories before, and especially when it comes to m/m romance. the dynamics and the situations are just a lot more specific and I've found I can accept the sometimes lack of maturity more in this situation than if it was m/f. Plus, I did read amazing books with this same theme and those kind of make it now hard to like things that might not be as smart, or as well done, or as consistent as those other books, which was clearly the case here.

Besides that, once again, the first person narrative also ruined things for me and I think Nate's POV only was a weak element and made the story feel very repetitive. Well, I suppose this would have been an issue anyway because the romance part was not an element I also found well done. The problem? The story is pretty much about them becoming sexual partners, trying out things, having sex as often as possible and the sex scenes were, for the most part, detailed. I got to half way and DNF'd. There wasn't enough plot for this to be likable....

It also reminded me of other authors/books where the sex or the erotic aspects were the focus and those stories no longer appeal to me. The beginning wasn't bad, though, and I was quite interested in seeing how the guys would take the first step, and after they got together the first time I hoped things would now progress in a more, well, romantic way, but the more pages I got to, the less interested I felt and to make it even worse, the sex scenes became more and longer and kinkier. That's when I decided to stop reading.

I see Neve Wilder is quite liked by many readers (for instance, this book has a huge amount of ratings on GR) but having this as an example, I would say her style or voice is not for me. the author did include a note where she explains this started off as installment episode she published, perhaps in a blog or in a site? and this is the compilation. In a way, this might explain too the sequence of what happens, but even knowing this did not make the reading more pleasant for me.

All things considered, there isn't much more to say about this story. Sometimes I understand why a book is seen positively by some readers and I guess I can see it here, but it's really not something I felt interested in, so a DNF it is.
Grade: DNF

No comments:

Post a Comment