Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Jayne Castle - Midnight Crystal

For many earthly centuries, a legendary curse has plagued the Winters family, stemming from the tumultuous founding of the Arcane Society. But now, on the futuristic world of Harmony, the curse's final mystery will be unraveled... Head of the ghost hunters guild Adam Winters and dreamlight reader extraordinaire Marlowe Jones must break the curse, save Harmony's entire underworld-and fight a passion that could destroy them both.

Comment: This is the 7th installment in the Ghost Hunters series by Jayne Castle. It can be confusing to place the installments, actually, because the author does plenty of crossovers with other series she has under other names and pseudonyms and this title is also listed as part of two others. 
Still, I have only been interested in this specific Ghost Hunters one.

Marlowe and Adam come from families which have historically been adversaries. Now that their descendants live in Harmony, they are the ones who need to deal with sort of curse, which can only be fixed by finding the midnight crystal, a device of a kind that has special powers. If the wrong people find it, they might cause harm to many people, but the problem first is to find it. Marlowe and Adam join forces after a clue about is location is shared but will they get to it on time before someone else does it? And will they be able to separate the task at hand from the personal feelings they suddenly start having for one another?

I'm certain I have said this before, but the books in this series are both comforting and predictable if one has read more than one, but also full of great ideas and descriptions if it's a new discovery. This said, for me it is already like a comfort read although I should say that it also means some things are just too repetitive and don't really seem very stimulating anymore.

The plot is quite simple, the main characters are seeking a special artifact, created a long time ago by members of their families, and because they were enemies back then, they have always been in opposed sides of what it meant to find it. Now, with a way of life that is so different from anything their ancestors knew, Adam and Marlowe, the youngest of both their families, are finally putting an end to the "curse". In fact, there is no curse, only some forces at hand, derivative of alchemy.

I liked this story enough but to be honest, it wasn't as incredible as others in the sere have been. The setting and everything related to it, yes, and the dust bunnies remain as wonderful as ever, no doubt about it, but the plot is quite repetitive. As I've said, this doesn't have to be an issue, if one starts reading already expecting this, but there were still some transitions here and there that felt a little dull. I also think the two or three scenes we got from the POV of secondary characters were avoidable, and having them just made those sections feel jarring.

Perhaps, an element the author could improve on - but I can already guess this won't happen, since it is her trademark, in all of her pseudonyms (I have tried three) - is the romance development. These stories all revolve around the same pattern/formula, whether the protagonist just met each other or not, which is like this: they talk because of business, they immediately have the "magical" vibes letting them know the other person is their intended soulmate, they face some tasks and problems, they help each other, they have sex and they just accept they are it for one another.

There's nothing wrong with a formula if it works, and it certainly does work for the types of plots the author envisioned for these series, but even allowing for this, there is a lot an author can still do in terms of romance. In my opinion, the author relies too much on the formula and her characters simply seem cardboard of one another, everyone is pretty much the same, apart from names, physical descriptions and one or two other minor details. I just wish the romance part would be more exciting and the characters would have more personality and depth. Even interactions with others would improve the story but every character is a little stereotypical.

This aside, reading this book was entertaining enough and it does fit a purpose, in the sense that I knew what I would get and I knew this would be a quick read. However, it wasn't the most interesting installment for me.
Grade: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment