The tall, blond, and ruggedly handsome actor looked exactly like the picture I'd seen in my head the entire time I was writing the book.
The studio, however, had different thoughts on a leading man. Box Office crusher, Maverick Dailey, made it clear that he wanted the role. The producers, studio, and everyone involved were thrilled to score such a celebrity. Well, everyone except me.
And it's my vote that counts since, according to my contract, I get final say on casting. Maverick is amazing, yet I'm just not sure...
It certainly didn't help that Finn Parker and I seemed destined to cross paths. We ran into each other all over Hollywood. And the more time we spent together, the more the sparks between us flew. We had an intense chemistry, something I'd only ever read about in books like mine.
Which made me wonder, was I really falling for Finn or just living out a fantasy with a red-blooded, live version of my hot hero character?
It's easy to confuse fiction for reality in Hollywood. Everything is not as it seems in this town.
Not to mention, Finn's life would forever change if he landed the role. Which made me question how good of an actor he really was? Was he interested in me, or the role I had the power to give him?
Comment: I got this book for free from a site I have subscribed to several years ago. Each month a book is made available, all contemporary romances, and some seem interesting, others not as much. I thought the idea of a romance writer and the actor she meets when her book is about to be adapted might be interesting.
Francesca "Frankie" Simonelli has written a wonderful romance which has resonated with readers beyond the label is was sold for. Now, the opportunity to adapt it to the big screen is about to happen and actors are auditioning which is quite exciting for Frankie too. She even has the chance to be part of the process and while everyone seems to expect this to be a formality considering there's a big name indicated to be the protagonist, Frankie can't help but be drawn to Finn Parker, a not so known name. A chance meeting near the beach only solidifies this and they even seem to be come friends, but is Frankie feeling this because of how good an actor he is or because she likes him as Finn? And will Finn finally have his big break or will his feelings for Frankie cloud his goals?
I've started this story without many expectations, and only really thought it would be a good chick lit type of plot, with the usual tropes/situations. In a way, it was precisely so, but until a certain point, everything was being quite interesting and I thought that while it wasn't spectacular, it was quite entertaining.
For some reason, I could not connect with Frankie that easily, though. I can't explain it, after all she is a protagonist I should sympathize with right away, being her a writer of romance and enjoying books and such and being in Hollywood coming from Texas, which means she should feel a little out of place. Well, I thought this seemed to be happening at first, but then, among all the glamour of most scenes, she behaved in such a way that I just could not see it being that easy to be realistic. I suppose I wanted her to act with a bit more doubt in what she should be like in such a different place.
Finn I liked more and his thoughts on what it's like to be in a industry that demands a lot and presents an image of actors and then in real life not everyone has it easy as the movies and social media make it sound. I think his personality was very appealing and I liked how he was dedicated to the potential role, not knowing if he would get it. Perhaps his dealings with his family were a little under developed, considering some scenes towards the end.
As a couple, these two were fine enough but I liked it better when they were getting to know each other and in the process of thinking about the other as more than just a friend or someone to talk about in regards to the movie and how to deal with the glamour aspects of the events they had to attend. Once they got intimate, I just could not see the connection anymore, I cannot explain it well. I didn't see the vibe nor why they would make it in the long term. Although, considering there's a HEA, they will get to have one, of course.
The scenes related to the movie and the acting business, and how there are so many people involved in ways that never get to be obvious for the public, was both interesting and stressful because I could tell some kind of obstacle would happen for the protagonists. Well, this didn't happen as I imagined, but by the time this took place in the story, I wasn't as captivated by the plot and didn't really feel these subjects mattered that much for my enjoyment of the book.

No comments:
Post a Comment