Thursday, February 17, 2011

Karen Marie Moning - Shadowfever


In Dreamfever, Karen Marie Moning has left listeners with the most heart-stopping cliff-hanger to date. Shadowfever will answer all the questions fans have been dying to know in the final chapter of MacKayla Lane's shockingly suspenseful and deeply satisfying adventure.

Comment: This book had a long time coming. I bet all the fans, the crazy ones I mean (in a healthy, nice way of course) were more than eager to read it.
I never was that crazy over the series. The first book was alright but didn't grab me that hard. But I was curious, especially after the cliffhanger in the end of Dreamfever.
I've read some reviews out there and the readers didn't like some things in the book. I won't compare anything, but to me, personally, the story had a logical path and ending.
Didn't the author say that she is planning on writing more about that world? Or the same theme at least? I fully expect that she answers what is missing... then. Perhaps I can think like this because I wasn't "in love" with the series.

Anyway, the story. Mac is desperate in the beginning, those pages were a bit hard to read because if we were to believe such worlds exist beyond our knowledge and we were the ones with that happening to us...how would we react?
There are many revelations in this book...who killed Alina, who is the really "bad" guy, the mystery of Barrons, why is Mac in all this...among other things. Some people also said that these things weren't really answered, just got complicated. Well, I felt some closure myself, granted there are things that if stated in a more firm way, more terminal, the reader would rest easier with that knowledge, but I think what we see is enough to explain things and still it remains some mystery, something to keep the story from just a novel, this way it keeps nagging even after the words "the end".

Besides, this has a HEA. I don't know how more "hardcore" fans took it, but I liked it. I really did. It wasn't overdone, and therefore destroying the character's behaviour in all the books, but it wasn't too fast that the reader couldn't enjoy it at last. It was cute, it brings hope and it made me happy.

All in all it was a good end to me. Perhaps it could have been better, in these things usually wveryone can think of better ways, more personal ways to see the end of a book, but to me it was good.
I don't like to grade the books I read because each one has a certain value to me and grading makes them labelled in a way, so...but from 0 to 20, I'd say this novel is a 16 to me. All things considered.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, S. Readers seem to go one way or the other with it. And it's definitely a good thing that it ended up in a good note for you. :D

    Per KMM, the Fever series was supposed to be a 5 book series that ended with book 5. It was not supposed to continue. This is where a lot of the controversy lies... in that some important questions were left unanswered for the next series -- that's a new development. :) But hey, lots of readers are very happy with the results and that's a good thing. :D

    ReplyDelete