Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Addison Albright - Cultivating Love



A man of few words, Joe is a hard-working farmhand who likes his simple, uncomplicated life. Ed is satisfied with his existence as an auto mechanic, but thrilled when an unexpected development in his life allows him to help Joe realize a dream.

It forces them, however, to reevaluate the casual, undefined nature of their relationship. They're too macho to speak of love, and neither would ever dream of acknowledging he doesn't really mind when it's his turn to bottom. When life throws them a curve ball, and the rules of their game get old, Ed makes an effort to take every aspect of their relationship up a notch. Will Joe be able to adapt to the open sentimentality Ed's injecting into their relationship, let alone the new spice in their bedroom activities?



Comment: I was quite surprised with this book. It was the first one I've tried by the author and it was a good read.

I must confess I wasn't very happy about the way it started..I thought this author would be another one who likes to write about twinks, nothing against them, but they aren't my favorite kind of characters in gay novels...submissives ok, depending on the character itself, but twinks? Usually they are too weak, too dependent, too whiny for me. I thought this because of the way Ed and Joe - the main characters - started talking to each other, carefully asking for one another's opinions. I thought, here we go, one of them must be a controlled twink who needs reassurance....how about this for prejudice?
So, I was very, very happy to see they had a sort of equal relationship and things between them weren't that specified.

Then another fear (admit it, we all have our pet peeves), I usually don't like when two characters are together and fight and cheat and don't talk - when in RL we know that's what most people might do - but as long as I kept reading I realized they haven't admitted their feelings yet, despite being together for so long (it was mentioned 2 years and so), and their sexual relations were almost as a given duty, with affection and respect yes, but without the "need".

I was very happy with the way things developed, the way they had to share things because of what was happening in their lives. I liked seeing their closeness, their love for each other.

I think in the end it worked out pretty well, and I'll try more stories by this author in the future, hopefully they will be as convincing and positively unexpected.

No comments:

Post a Comment