Sunday, April 3, 2011

Georgette Heyer - Why Shoot a Butler?


Every family has secrets, but the Fountains' are turning deadly…

On a dark night, along a lonely country road, barrister Frank Amberley stops to help a young lady in distress and discovers a sports car with a corpse behind the wheel. The girl protests her innocence, and Amberley believes her—at least until he gets drawn into the mystery and the clues incriminating Shirley Brown begin to add up…

In an English country-house murder mystery with a twist, it's the butler who's the victim, every clue complicates the puzzle, and the bumbling police are well-meaning but completely baffled. Fortunately, in ferreting out a desperate killer, amateur sleuth Amberley is as brilliant as he is arrogant, but this time he's not sure he wants to know the truth…


Comment: Perhaps I didn't choose the better book to start reading this author... I mean, I've heard so many good things about her that I decided right away to pick one book and read it. I chose a mystery but perhaps I should have picked a romance.


The writing is obviously historical related and I guess quite accurate. At least much more that the usual historical book. The plot was ok but I admit it, I had some trouble to follow what everyone was doing. I'm still undecided on whether it was my fault because I wasn't paying enough attention, or if it's the language itself that just didn't appealed to me. I'll try a romance this month to try and decide if mrs Heyer is an author I should keep reading. The fact is, some authors just aren't "made" for us.


The story follows mr Amberley as he drives to visit his aunt. Then he sees a young lady next to a car on the side of the road. He talks to her but doesn't help her for th's next to a dead body and as a barrister he decides not to interfere. Later he changes his mind and helps her throughout the whole book, while solving the mystery and the resulting situation. He also wants to marry the girl. I didn't see any romance in the book, and yes I know it's not one, but what I read didn't convince me. The mystery was confusing. I mean, not the whys and hows but the whole process. I even got tired of trying to figure out how all the characters would connect! All in all not the best thing. I'll try the romance now, hopefully I'll like it much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment