Saturday, July 9, 2011

Tess Gerritsen - The Surgeon



He slips into their homes at night and walks silently into bedrooms where women lie sleeping, about to awake to a living nightmare. The precision of the killer's methods suggests he is a deranged man of medicine, propelling the Boston newspapers to name him "The Surgeon." The cops' only clue rests with the victim of a nearly identical crime. Two years ago, Dr. Catherine Cordell fought back and killed her attacker before he could complete his assault. Now this new killer is re-creating, with chilling accuracy, the details of Cordell's own ordeal. With every new murder he seems to be taunting her, cutting ever closer, from her hospital to her home. Her only comfort comes from Thomas Moore, the detective assigned to the case. But even Moore cannot protect Cordell from a brilliant hunter who somehow understands--and savors--the secret fears of every woman he kills....

Comment: This was the first book I've read by mrs Gerritsen. I was told she writes a good crime story with some elements of romance..so it was sold pretty easily to me.
I think the strongest point in the book is the mystery indeed. It was good to see the story develop and to look forward to see what else might happen. There were also some moments I thought things were too creepy and once I was reading before sleeping and I did have to close the book! The author knows what she's talking about and she has a talent to creat a good suspense.
The romance part..well, I've read better even when it's a crime book, but to be honest I didn't find it lacking because the small tidbits were juicy and left things to the imagination and sometimes less is better.
I was eager to read more about secondary characters and a friend has told me one of them features heavily in the following books, so I want to get them fast..I already order the next two.
I enjoyed the feel in the air surrounding the story and how it helped create the perfect atmosphere. I can't wait to read more.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting! I'm glad that you enjoyed the book. I met Ms Gerritsen at RWA and her series sound really good... so I was thinking of starting it :) Are you going to continue the series?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Nath! Sorry for taking so long, I have a job since may and now I can't log in every day like I used to and although I keep reading, I can't always find the time to just sit here and "surf" lol

    Anyway, yes, I'm going to keep reading the series. the 2nd and 3rd books have already arrived and I'm not reading them already because I have monthly lists and I like to follow them. It helps me to keep things organized.
    The Surgeon I didn't buy, I got it from bookmooch, do you know that site? Or, perhaps you could borrow it from the library if you're afraid of spending money and not enjoying it...are you in an english speaking country? lol I'm asking because I'm not, so, obviously english written books are a no in public libraries here, I have to buy them all because obviously buying the translation is much more expensive.
    Sorry I'm rambling.
    I hope you come back!

    S.

    ReplyDelete