Friday, August 12, 2011

Madeleine Urban, Abigail Roux - Warrior's Cross

Cameron Jacobs is an open book. He considers himself a common waiter with normal friends, boring hobbies, harmless dogs, and nothing even resembling a secret... except a crush on a tall, dark, devastatingly handsome man who dines alone at his restaurant on Tuesday nights. All it takes is one passionate night with Julian Cross to turn Cameron’s world on its head.
Julian's love and devotion are all Cameron could have hoped for and more. But when his ordinary life meets and clashes with Julian's extraordinary lifestyle, Cameron discovers that trust and fear can go hand in hand, and love is just a step away from danger.

Comment: these two authors have written one of my favourite gay stories, Caught Running, something I re-read often. Therefore I was expecting more brilliance from them.
And I understand the beauty of this novel, the two layers of darkness and joy advancing and retreating while the story develops. I do.
But I was always expecting some more on the lines of the other book, where things just sizzled. In this book there wasn't any sizzle, I wasn't eager to see the romance happen or to find out about Julien's personal life.
Yes I wanted to know what he did for a living for sure, and how would he react to the fact they were in love, but things happened so smoothly I think I didn't even have te chance to feel surprised.
It's a gorgeous story but the romance is too silky, I think it needed some more struggle from them before they accepted what was happening...It does have some kind of angst in there, a very small dose of it, but still...
Julien is mysterious character and the reader feels impressed to know what is really going on, but I much preferred the apparently common Cameron. He was a nice person, he had a simple life...I liked him a lot and then he had a crush on Julien and wanted him in his life..totally understandable...but I wished there had been more salt in there.
I'll keep reading the things these authors wrote because that one novel still blazes in my head since the day I read it, but this one although a good read, wasn't memorable to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment