Sunday, October 9, 2011

Fae Sutherland & Marguerite Labbe - The Exceptions to the Rule

Two men with nothing in common, a strip club on a Tuesday night and a meeting that will forever change the rules. Nathan Daniels and Jamie Nolan are from two different worlds, but underneath the facades and packaging, they're more alike than they think. Suits and ties meet leather and tattoos as a bartender and a financial analyst find out that falling in love is everything the storybooks say, even when it's the X-rated version.





Comment: I chose this book for the challenge because t had a blurb I felt was catching. Opposites attract are one of the things I like to see in romances. In the blurb we get the idea the two main characters couldn't be more different and that was the spark. I felt wonderful when I downloaded it to my e-reader and wondered how much fun I was going to get while reading it.
Wrong.
The story can be summarizes like this: they meet, they have sex, they face an ex-lover of one of them and they say I love you. Predictable but perhaps enjoyable if well writen. In this case it was as basic as one gets. Nothing interesting happens, there's no conflict, no real challange in starting a relationship, nothing. They have sex and that's it, there's almost nothing to think about and when that ex shows up it's cleary an attempt to bring some flavour to this but it's no use, it's forced and it doesn't work.
I was quite disappointed, other books by them are so well liked! I must have picked the wrong thing to read by them, but it's done. I don't recommend this book.
What was meant to work is flat, it's tasteless. I don't recall a single thing to like in the story, even the couple has a lot to be desired.
Better luck next time, I hope, but it it will be a long time before that.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, I can't stand reading books like this any more. :( Too bad. I do have some books by Margarite Labbe in my TBR. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have another one and I'm curious about Bee Among the Clovers, a book so many people say it's very good. I'll try this one one day, but it won't be soon.
    I'm very disappointed with the one I read...

    ReplyDelete